The Business Management (BMT) program is designed to develop the professional and business skills necessary to succeed in today's competitive, demanding, and changing business environment. Throughout the Business Management program, students are given projects to complete that provide practical experience in the management functions of planning, leading, organizing and controlling. In this applied environment, a student can gain confidence, a sense of professionalism, and develop the tools to become a team player and leader. Students will also have the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to practical business simulations including leadership training in the Business Management Organization and by operating the retail lab located on the Mount Vernon Campus.
Whether you are a working professional seeking additional skills, or completely new to the world of business, SVC's Business Management program is designed to meet your needs. The department offers several options for study.
Business Management, Associate in Technical Arts Degree, two-year program
General Business Management Certificate, one-year program
Complete the first year of classes in the Business Management program to earn this certificate.
Designed for individuals with extensive work experience and want specific business skills for owning and operating a business. The entrepreneurship certificate is Self Employment Assistance Program (SEAP) approved and qualifies for WIA funding through SkillSource* with student eligibility.
Retail Management Certificate
Prepares you for fast-paced changes in the retail market place
Individual Technical Certificate
Developed with permission of your instructor, focusing on specific business expertise
- Customer Service and Sales
- Leadership and Community Service
- Supervisory Basics
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Business Management program will.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply marketing principles to promote a company.
- Demonstrate competency in written and oral communication.
- Select and use appropriate business technologies.
- Have working knowledge of current legal, ethical, social, financial, economic, and environmental factors as applied in a business environment.
- Recognize the interrelationship of a business within the larger business environment including international business.
- Apply management and leadership techniques in business.
- Demonstrate competency in business mathematics and accounting principles.
You Will Study
- Leadership Development
- Small Business Management
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Management Practices
- Sales & Retailing
- Marketing Skills
- Practical Accounting Applications
- Computer Applications
- Applied Marketing
- Professional Ethics
Why Skagit Valley College?
High-quality faculty with advanced business degrees
Diverse program options: degrees, certificates and college transfer options
Connections with the local business community
Internships provide real world experience
Strong record of job placements
Your career choices range across a very broad variety of businesses and disciplines including:
- Entry level – Management Track
- Retail sales specialist
- Public Relations Specialist
- Real Estate Sales Agent
- Marketing Research
- Customer Service Representative
- Human Resource Assistant
- Entrepreneur – Start a business
Placement and Completion Data