Welcome to the Criminal Justice Programs
Are you interested in a rewarding career in the varied field of criminal justice? Or maybe you dream of working in the natural environment, helping to protect America's parks and special places. SVC is one of only twelve schools in the U.S. to offer the exceptional training discipline recognized by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Enroll today and begin your career in criminal justice!
Whether you are new to these fields, or a working professional, SVC's diverse criminal justice program will prepare you to meet your goals! The program’s courses focus on the criminal justice system, law enforcement, investigative techniques, security, and corrections. We offer the following options:
The Parks Services and Protection program prepares students for careers in visitor services, facilities maintenance and repair, and resources protection. Typical employment would be in parks, recreation, and wildlife enforcement-related areas. Students can choose between two training options:
We also offer the following short, specialty Micro Certificate options
- Basic Law Enforcement Reserve Academy
- Investigative Techniques
- Community Policing
- Juvenile Services and Advocacy
- Legal Principles in Policing
- Private & Commercial Security
- Parks Law Enforcement Academy
- Public Safety Communications
- Public Safety Information Officer
- Homeland Security/Domestic Preparedness
NOTE: None of SVC’s Criminal Justice training programs guarantee employment in specific law enforcement positions, criminal justice agencies, or park services; the program does prepare students to take a police agency entrance examination or other similar entry-level application process. Successful graduates of any Criminal Justice certificate or degree program will gain a competitive edge in seeking jobs with various agencies in the law enforcement community.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Criminal Justice program will
- Complete a job application, resume and prepare for civil service testing procedures in local, state and federal criminal justice professions.
- Communicate effectively in writing in order to document the actions of criminals, investigators, corrections officers and probation officers and meet the requirements of the American court system.
- Using critical thinking skills to understand and analyze verbal, non-verbal and cultural communications, effectively communicate with the public and respond to various problems many of which may not be criminal in nature, and some of which may be adversarial.
- Develop an understanding of the basic precepts of criminal law as it applies in the state of Washington.
- Develop an understanding of the court system in the United States in terms of constitutional issues and historical precedents.
- Identify and understand correctional practices in the United States in relation to philosophies of punishment, sentencing practices, victim’s rights, and institutional limitations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the purpose, function, and historical evolution of the American Criminal Justice System in terms of the three major branches of criminal justice: police, courts, and corrections, and their relationships, similarities and differences.
- Utilize knowledge about state, federal and sovereign laws that impact law enforcement and corrections in decision making in the United States.
- Utilizing critical thinking, information and technical literacy, and effective communications, discuss and demonstrate basic procedures related to the fields of law enforcement and corrections, including investigative techniques, patrol procedures, interactive community policing and courtroom testimony.
- Discuss ethics and professional conduct as related to law enforcement and corrections, including ethical dilemmas and paradoxes faced by criminal justice professionals.
- Meet Social Science, Humanities, Written Communication, and Quantitative Reasoning distribution area outcomes.
Program Learning Outcomes – Parks Services
To view the program outcomes click on this link to the Parks Services Protection web page.
You May Study
- Arrest, Search And Seizure
- History Of Law Enforcement
- Basic Collision Investigation
- Human Relations
- First Aid/CPR
- Interviewing & Interrogation
- Search & Rescue
- Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs
- Boating Safety & Enforcement
- Natural & Cultural Resource Law
- Radio Procedures
- Patrol Procedures/Field Problems
- Courtroom Testimony
- Officer Safety/Survival
- Crime Prevention
- Physical Fitness
- Crime Scene Management
- Report Writing
- Crisis Intervention
- Resource Education & Interpretation
- Critical Incident Response
- Risk Management/Civil Liability
- Defensive Tactics/Chemical Agents
- Sexual Harassment
- Domestic Violence
- Tactical Communications
- EMT – Basic
- Tactical Driving
- Ethics, Conduct & Professionalism
- Use of Force
- Field Scenarios
- Wildland Firefighter
Why Skagit Valley College?
- Programs exceed Federal and State training requirements
- Highly qualified instructors with broad criminal justice experience
- Field exercises assessed to industry standards for real world experience
- Excellent job placement record
- Diverse program options emphasizing hands-on learning
- Career Opportunities explored through cooperative experience and internships
There is a strong need for the well-trained graduates of the criminal justice program. Additionally, you may decide to continue your education through a four-year college degree. Your career choices in criminal justice include police officer, deputy sheriff, state trooper, corrections officer, juvenile probations officer, communications officer, fingerprint technician, private investigator, claims investigator, commissioned park ranger, loss prevention officer, or private security officer.
Dare to Dream
Maybe you dream of working in a position of public trust and confidence, helping to protect and serve your community and truly making a difference through public service. SVC can help you achieve your goals. Enroll today and begin your career in criminal justice!
Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement 100%
Security & Loss Prevention 100%