Skagit Valley College logo


Every student applying to the Skagit Valley College has a unique family history and experiences that have shaped his or her education. The admissions process looks at all this: the strengths, values, challenges, and achievements - at the individual voice - when considering an applicant.

I have a high school diploma, a GED, or I am 18 or older:
If you are currently attending high school:
If you did not graduate from high school or want to develop your reading/writing/math skill:

This website is designed to help you with the basic information you need to get started at Skagit Valley College. Please call Admissions at Mount Vernon Campus (360) 416-7697, Whidbey Island Campus (360) 675-6656, South Whidbey Center (360) 341-2324, or San Juan Center (360) 378-3220 if you need additional information or have additional questions.

New Degree-Seeking or Certificate-Seeking students submit an SVC Application for Admission, available from our the Admissions Office, Or online by visiting the Washington State Community & Technical Colleges Web Admissions Center and select Skagit Valley College.

Returning Degree-Seeking or Certificate-Seeking students if you've taken a break from college for less than 1 year, you do not need to complete another Application for Admission. Contact Registration, (360) 416-7700 to get a registration access time. If you have taken a break for more than 1 year, contact admissions to update your student file.  Students who have not attended SVC for three years are strongly recommended to see a counselor before registering for classes. Once you have your Registration access time, log on to MySVC and register. Be sure to update your contact information.

Transfer students submit a copy of your official transcript from all colleges and universities you attended to the SVC Admissions Office.  New SVC degree seeking students are required to attend an advising session before they can register at SVC.  This requirement can be fulfilled by attending a group advising session, completing the new student online advising module or meeting with a counselor or advisor in person.   Skagit Valley College has implemented mandatory advising to make sure students are aware of graduation requirements, college resources, and opportunities.


New Degree-Seeking or Certificate-Seeking students submit an SVC Application for Admission, available from our Admissions Office or online by visiting the Washington State Community & Technical Colleges Web Admissions Center and be sure to select Skagit Valley College.

If You Are an International Student

The International Programs Office provides services to international students attending Skagit Valley College. For complete details on getting started visit the International Student Programs web directory.

If You Are a Veteran

If you are a veteran or a dependent of a deceased or 100% service connected disabled veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits. If you plan to apply for VA educational assistance, you are required to apply for admission to Skagit Valley College and to apply for educational benefits through the Veterans' Education Office at the college. If you have earned credits at other colleges, you must furnish transcripts at the time of application or during the first quarter of enrollment.

You should be prepared to pay expenses for three months, since the Veterans' Administration sends benefit checks at the end of the months during which students have pursued studies.

You should also make certain the objective you plan to pursue is authorized by the Veteran's Administration. Any changes in your class schedule must be reported immediately to the Veterans' Education Office. If it is discovered that you are failing to attend classes or taking courses not applicable to your stated educational objective, benefits may be terminated. It is your responsibility to report any changes, drops, adds, or withdrawals to the Veterans' Education Office as well as to the Registrar's Office.

Satisfactory progress reports are issued quarterly and must be submitted to the Veterans' Education Office as required. Failure to comply may result in termination of VA benefits. Skagit Valley College also reserves the right to refuse re-certification to those who fail to make satisfactory progress in accordance with established college scholastic standards.

Work-study positions may be available in veteran's offices on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses as well as the local community for veterans qualifying under Chapters 30, 31, 32, and 35. For more information, contact one of these offices.

Applications for educational benefits are available in the Veterans' Education Office. When you submit an application for veteran's benefits, you must submit a copy of the DD 214.

Visit the Veteran's Education Website

If You Are Military Personnel

As a member of the Servicemember's Opportunity College (SOC) program, Skagit Valley College grants credit for military schools and training, American Council on Education and the SOC program. A maximum of 67 credits for non-traditional learning may be granted toward the Associate in Arts General Studies.

A SOC applicant must take a minimum of 12 credits at SVC. The total number of credits required is 90. Non-traditional credit for Associate in Arts University and College Transfer is limited to 15 credits, including Learning Into Action, which may be applied to elective requirements only. Minimum resident credit requirements may be waived for active duty military personnel under this program.

If You are Eligible for Running Start

High school juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible for Running Start. To become a Running Start student, talk with your high school counselor. You must submit an admissions application, a current high school transcript, and take a COMPASS test. A signed Running Start Verification Form is required at the time you register.

Visit the Running Start Website

College in the High School

High school juniors and seniors (11 or more high school credits earned) with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible to participate in the SVC College in the High School program (CHS). College in the High School classes meet both departmental and college-wide general education learning outcomes. The courses are taught by qualified faculty at local high schools under the supervision of SVC department chairs.

Community members may also be able to enroll in CHS classes. To be eligible and enrolled in the College in the High School (CHS) program, you must follow all regular SVC policies and regulations regarding student performance, behavior, and course prerequisites. Completion of CHS classes results in the awarding of SVC college credit and will also count toward the student's high school diploma. Fees for the courses must be sufficient to cover the full cost of operating the program. If you are a high school student, ask your school counselor or faculty about these courses; class availability varies.

ABE, GED Getting Started

Students enrolling in Adult Basic Education(ABE) or English as a Second Language(ESL) classes are charged $25.00 per person per quarter.

Adult Basic Education (ABE) Skagit Valley College offers Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses for students who do not have a high school diploma and who need instruction in reading, writing, math, or GED (General Education Development) test preparation. Courses are individualized to meet the needs of each student. Daytime and evening courses are available. Students may enroll for day classess at anytime during the quarter. Prospective students must apply in person at any campus or center. Check out our current ABE courses

General Educational Development (GED)

The State Superintendent of Public Instruction has authorized Skagit Valley College, as an official testing agency, to give the General Educational Development test to qualified applicants. This is a nationally used test for people who do not have a high school diploma. Upon satisfactory completion of such tests, the state superintendent will issue a Certificate of Educational competency, Grade 12. If you would like to take the GED test, contact (360) 416-7654. To help prepare for the tests, you may enroll in Adult Basic Education classes. Anyone 19 years of age or older is eligible for the testing program; a testing fee is required. People under the age of 19 may test for the GED with the approval from their high school. SVC also offers GED test preperation for adult students who receive a TANF Grant. Courses are offered through WorkFirst. Visit our GED Testing Page

ESL Getting Started

Students enrolling in Adult Basic Education(ABE) or English as a Second Language(ESL) classes are charged $25.00 per person per quarter.

English As A Second Language (ESL)

English as a Second Language classes provide instruction to non-native speakers of English. Classes emphasize beginning to advanced listening, speaking, reading, writing, and computational skills. Job readiness is a component of all Adult ESL courses, as well as the practical use of English in everyday life. Courses coded 040 or higher are offered to students who have been admitted to campus credit programs. Academic ESL classes are intended to prepare non-native speakers of English for transition into academic studies at Skagit Valley College. New students interested in signing up for ESL courses should attend one registration sesson. To make an appointment please call (360) 416-7654. Check out our current ESL courses


To schedule a COMPASS appointment at Mount Vernon Campus login to

You will need your Student Identification number (SID) and PIN.  If you do not know your SID and password, please call Admissions at (360) 416-7967.

Office Hours

Mount Vernon Campus
Mon-Thur: 8:00am - 5:30pm
Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Whidbey Island Campus
Mon &Thur: 8:00am - 6:30pm
Tue/Wed/Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm

South Whidbey Center:
Mon-Thur: 9:30am - 6:30pm
Fri: Closed

San Juan Center:
Mon-Thur: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Fri: Closed

Not finding what you need?

Contact Us