The Family Life (FL) program provides parents an opportunity to work with and observe their children in an educational setting. Technical assistance is provided to independently operated parent education cooperatives. Parents observe child behavior and practice skills and techniques useful in working with small groups of children.
Program objectives are:
- To assist parents' understanding of child development.
- To assist with the understanding of child behavior.
- To provide necessary skills for effective parent/child communication.
- To provide necessary skills for implementation of positive guidance techniques.
- To build confidence in their parental roles as the child's first and most important teacher.
- To involve parents actively in the child's "formal" educational experiences.
- To support the family's home culture and development of positive self-esteem.
- To provide families with formal and informal resources to support healthy family development.
- To provide experience for family members in planning, governance and administration of program activities.