Skagit Valley College logo

FAQ Generalist

Jan  1 1900 12:00AM

Still have questions? Professor Halpin may have some answers for you!

These are frequently asked questions focused the Generalist track of our program. We highly suggest you also read the FAQ for our Chemical Dependency track as it may answer further questions for you.

How long will it take to complete the necessary coursework for the ATA Degree?

This degree requires 107-quarter hours of coursework. If you attend school full-time and take an average of 18 credits per quarter most students will be able to complete this degree in two years. How long it will actually take depends on a number of additional factors including but not limited to those listed below:

  • Your current level of skills in writing, reading comprehension, and math.
  • Whether you already have an Associate or Bachelors degree.
  • How many previously earned college credits (whether or not you completed a degree) can be applied to our Degree or certificate requirements.
  • Availability of courses.
  • Your availability to attend on a fulltime basis.
Will I be able to transfer credits earned in pursuit of the Associate of Technical Arts degree to another college or university?

This is a difficult question to answer since each college or university follows their own guidelines regarding what courses they will accept and apply toward a particular degree that they offer. If you plan to transfer to another university or college it is best to contact them directly about what courses within our programs they will accept. The academic advisors at our Counseling Center can also help you evaluate this.

Can I use previously earned college credits to satisfy the course requirements for either the degree or the certificate?

Perhaps or perhaps not. We cannot answer that question before reviewing your college transcripts. An unofficial copy will be adequate for a preliminary assessment. In order to apply credits earned elsewhere toward any SVC degree or certificate an official transcript from other colleges must be received by the SVC registrar's office and officially evaluated. Please consult with your faculty advisor or academic advisor regarding details.

Is it possible to obtain a paid position working with in the Human Services field prior to satisfying all the requirements for the ATA in Human Services degree?

Yes, some students are offered paid employment before completing all the coursework and obtaining their degree. Other students may be employed in human services at the time they initially enroll at SVC.

What are the opportunities for continuing my education after obtaining my ATA?

The Human Service degree is an ATA degree which means that most students will be entering the work force upon completion. However, some of our students apply for entrance to Fairhaven College in Bellingham, Evergreen State College in Olympia, or Trinity Western University in Bellingham, to pursue a Bachelors degree in Human Services. These options can be further discussed with your advisor

What are the differences between the Chemical Dependency and Generalist track?

Actually the two tracks are very similar. Some of our students choose to complete both tracks. The C.D. track is designed to fulfill the educational requirements mandated by the Department of Health for those who wish to become a chemical dependency professional. The Generalist track helps students develop the skills needed to enter a wide array of different job opportunities within the Human and Social Services professions. Both degrees are 90 credits of college work and offer the opportunity for extensive on the job training.

What kind of jobs will I be qualified for once I complete by ATA in Human Services?

Perhaps the best way to answer this question is to show you where our students are working. Please visit our Employer Links page to see a list of just a few of the job options available to you.

What will the SVC Human Services program expect from me?

Students are expected to have college level reading, writing, comprehension and communication abilities.

Students who need additional education in writing are welcome to enter the program but are expected to promptly pursue coursework in English. The Human Services program is a writing intensive program and it will greatly benefit your educational experience if you pursue your English 101 or 170 requirement early on in your education. In fact, we highly recommend you begin taking English your first quarter. Many students are able to test directly into English 101 which is a required course for all ATA degrees. However, some students may find they will need to take additional coursework prior to enrolling in English 101. You will also need to either enter with or quickly develop basic keyboarding and computer skills. There are classes available to assist with this.

Students will be expected to attend and participate in all classes, to communicate in a manner appropriate of a college level student and to accept feedback. We are a professional program and expect our students to conduct themselves in a manner befitting a professional office setting.