Participants will gather once a month for an entire day to study the issues challenging our region and to work on leadership skills. Each day will be held in a different location around the county and will focus on critical topics such as: government; business & economics; health & human services; natural resources; education; agriculture; and arts & leisure. Participants will meet with local leaders and learn how to apply leadership skills to current issues within these topics.
The participants will work in small teams to choose, plan, and complete a service project in concert with a local nonprofit agency. While directly applying leadership skills, team members will provide lasting benefits to our community.
Leadership Skagit is proud to use the "The Leadership Challenge" by Kouzes & Posner. The program incorporates the Five Practices of Leadership into the curriculum.
Inspire a Shared Vision
Model the Way
Challenge the Process
Enable Others to Act
Encourage the Heart
Graduates of Leadership Skagit will be able to:
- Critically assess and enhance personal leadership abilities
- Access community resources and influence decision-making processes within the community
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with diverse community groups
- Incorporate high ethical standards and respect for diversity into personal value systems
- Be part of a network of community leaders who share a common goal of community stewardship