Skagit Valley College logo


2016 Spring Commencement Ceremonies

  • San Juan Center
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 – 1:00 pm
    "Brickworks", 150 Nichols Street,
    Friday Harbor, WA 98250

  • Mount Vernon Campus
    Thursday, June 16, 2016- 6:30 pm
    2405 East College Way
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273

  • Whidbey Island Campus
    Friday, June 17, 2016- 6:30 pm
    #1 Wildcat Way
    Oak Harbor, WA 98277

Students are eligible to "walk" in commencement if they are within ten credits, two classes, or one quarter of completing their degree and/or certificate. 


Graduation means being awarded a state approved certificate or degree once all of the requirements for that degree/certificate have been successfully completed.


Commencement is a ceremony in which students have the opportunity to celebrate their academic accomplishments.  Skagit Valley College holds commencement ceremonies at the end of spring quarter each year at the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island Campuses and San Juan Center.  Participation in commencement does not mean that a student has graduated and students do not receive diplomas on that day.


Apply to Graduate and attend Commencement

Please follow the steps outlined in the Graduation Application online at

Diploma Application Deadline: It is recommended that students apply two quarters prior to the expected quarter of graduation. If you plan to attend a current year's commencement ceremony, and receive recognition in the commencement program and be considered for academic awards the deadline to apply is the first Thursday in April, April 7, 2016.  If you missed this deadline, you may still apply to graduate and walk in the ceremony.  Apply using the link above.

  • Fee:  Application for your initial graduation is free. If you are applying for duplicate copies, you will need to pay a $10.00 fee for each duplicate degree and/or certificate(s).
  • Addresses: Include both a current address where you can be reached while attending SVC, and a permanent address that will be valid for at least six months after the end of your graduation quarter.
  • Graduation quarter: Indicate the year and quarter you plan to complete your degree or certificate for each degree or certificate.

Take care of all financial obligations.  All financial obligations must be cleared before degree/certificates will be granted.  Any balance due on your Student Account will hold your diploma.

*If you have applied for a degree and/or certificate in the last five years and you did not complete the requirements, you do not need to reapply.  To reactivate an old diploma application please contact:

Mount Vernon Campus, San Juan Campuses:  call (360) 416-7863

Whidbey and South Whidbey Campuses:  call (360) 679-5319


Walking in Commencement is not required to graduate.  If you plan on attending commencement, be sure to indicate the campus where you will attend.  You are eligible to walk at either the Whidbey Island Campus or the Mount Vernon Campus.  Your name will be included in the commencement program if you indicate on your diploma application that you plan on attending the commencement ceremony.

If you indicated on your diploma application that you plan on attending the commencement ceremony you will receive further information in May regarding the ceremony.

Tickets are not required – no limit on the number you can invite to graduation. Please help make sure every graduate’s guests can be accommodated by limiting your invitation list to 5 or fewer guests.  Also, please note that the Whidbey Island Campus Ceremony has more seating for guests.  As an SVC graduate you are eligible to walk in either ceremony but are required to indicate which ceremony you will attend on your application.


Cap and gown for commencement:  All graduates are required to follow academic tradition and must wear a cap and gown.  UPDATED NOTE - Caps and Gowns are available in the SVC Cardinal Bookstore starting May 18.  Thanks to the support of the ASSVC student body, caps and gowns will be provided to students without charge.


Honor cords are also available for students graduating within prescribed GPA requirements starting May 18.

  • Honors:  If you are receiving an Associate’s degree or Certificate and you have a College Level Grade Point Average of 3.5 to 3.79 as of the end of Winter Quarter you receive a white cord.
  • High Honors: If you are receiving an Associate’s degree or Certificate and you have a College Level Grade Point Average of 3.8 to 4.0 as of the end of Winter Quarter you receive a gold cord.


Academic honors for the commencement program and ceremony only are based on your SVC college level cumulative grade point average and SVC graded credits earned through Winter Quarter, 2016.

Final honors status (printed on your official transcript) will be based on all SVC graded credits and grade points through your last term as a degree seeking student.

Phi Theta Kappa

Students belonging to Phi Theta Kappa should contact the honor society concerning any academic regalia.

Diploma Information

When you have completed all requirements, your degree/certificate will be posted to your transcript, usually 2-3 weeks after final grades are posted. Diplomas are normally mailed approximately twelve weeks after the end of a quarter. If you graduate during a quarter, your diploma will be processed with the current quarter graduates.

High School Diploma

Per SHB 1758 Skagit Valley College may award an individual who is over 21 years of age, who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, a high school diplomas upon written request from the student.  If you are over 21 and have earned your associate degree and have not earned a high school diploma, be sure to apply for your high school diploma. 

Duplicate Diploma

Duplicate Diploma

Did you lose your diploma? You can request a duplicate diploma...

You can order a duplicate copy online by clicking “Order past earned degree” on the diploma application at

Application Fee:

Duplicate Diploma Fee - $10.00 for each diploma

Contact Information

Mount Vernon Campus:  (360) 416-7863

Whidbey Island Campus & South Whidbey Center:  (360) 679-5319
San Juan Center: (360) 378-3220