Skagit Valley College logo

VA Work Study

Earn $$$ as a VA Work-Study

Any student receiving VA educational benefits who is a three-quarter (3/4) time student is eligible for this program. If accepted into the program, you will be assigned tasks that will permit you to perform 100% VA-related activities. You may work for one of the two Veterans Education Offices at SVC but you can also apply for open positions at any VA office, National Cemetery,VA Medical Center, Veteran Clinics, Department of Labor office and some military installations. As a VA Work-Study student, you are paid an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr) or the State minimum wage, ($11.00 in WA as of 1/1/2017), whichever is greater. VA Work-Study pay is non-taxable.

Contact the nearest SVC Veterans Education Office to inquire about a VA Work Study position and/or to be added to our waiting list.

VA Work-Study FAQs

Who is Eligible for the Work-Study Program?

To receive VA Work-Study benefits, the student must be receiving benefits under one of the following education programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill--(38 U.S.C., Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C., Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in Washington
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program -- (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors. Such factors include:

  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of the student's eligibility for education benefits
  • Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student
  • Veterans with service-connected disabilities of at least 30% may be given priority consideration

The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related work at your school or at VA facilities in your area.

How Much May I Earn?

You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. Currently the following minimum wage laws are in effect:

Federal Minimum Wage: $7.25 per hour (as of 7/24/2009)

WA State Minimum Wage: $9.04 per hour (2012); $9.19 per hour (beginning 1/1/2013)

VA Work-Study pay is non-taxable.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you've completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can't be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What Type of Work May I Do as a SVC VA Work-Study?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • The preparation and processing of necessary papers and other documents at SVC
  • Assisting with dissemination of general information regarding Veteran benefits and/or services
  • Providing assistance to Veteran students with general inquires about Veteran benefits via phone, email or in person
  • Maintaining and organizing veteran-related files

The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work available. You can find out more about the VA Work-Study Program by clicking here: VA Work Study

Contact the nearest SVC Veterans Education Office to inquire about a VA Work Study position and/or to be added to our waiting list.