Skagit Valley College logo

Mount Vernon Campus Testing

The GED paper based exams consist of four separate tests. Each test will cover one area: Social Studies, Science, Math, Reading (Literature) or Writing (English).


  1. You must be able to read and write in English or Spanish.
  2. You must be at least 16 years old.
  3. You cannot currently be attending high school.
  4. Persons under 19 will need a high school release form. This is obtained from the high school in the area were you currenlty live (not necessarily the one you last attended).


ADULT BASIC EDUCATION - If you need help in the subjects on the GED tests, you may want to register for Adult Basic Education classes offered by the college.  The course cost is $25 per quarter and you must sign up for it at the registration office.  If you are under 19 years old, you must meet with a counselor prior to registering for the Adult Basic Education classes.  The classes have open enrollment, which means you can enter at any time during the quarter as long as space is available.  Classes are available morning, afternoon and evenings during the week and on Saturday.  You work at your own pace and help is given in each subject.  You study in this program until you and the instructor think you are ready to pass the GED.  Please phone the Adult Basic Education department at 360-416-7726 for more information about enrolling in the GED preparation courses.

SPANISH ONLY - The GED test is available in Spanish.

DISABLED STUDENTS - Students with disabilities can request special testing accommodations by going

All questions of policy should be directed to the GED examiner, Sindie Howland at 360-416-7820 or by email at