Skagit Valley College logo

Frequently Asked Questions


What is Tech Prep?

Tech Prep allows you to earn high school and college credit at the same time (this is called Dual Credit) for successfully completing certain Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses at your high school. The courses are taught at the high school, but are considered part of a college degree or certificate program which aligns with a career pathway at Skagit Valley College.

Which classes at my school are Tech Prep classes?

You can locate which classes are available at your high school by accessing the Student link and finding your high school chart. The career specialist at your high school can also assist you in determining what classes are available.

Is there an age requirement for when I can begin earning Tech Prep college credits?

Tech Prep classes are a part of your district’s regular Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes. You are eligible to begin earning Tech Prep credit anytime between 9-12th grade when you are currently enrolled in an eligible CTE course.

How many college credits can I earn?

There is no "official" limit on the number of credits that a student can earn in Tech Prep – that is usually determined by the college.

How do I register for the first time?

First, go to our website SVC Tech Prep/Career Pathways and click on the Register Now link towards the bottom of the page. This will take you to a page with registration instructions and classes available by high school. To go directly to the registration page click here.

Do I have to enter my Social Security number when I register for Tech Prep classes?

Entering your social security number is optional; you do not need it to register for Tech Prep. When registering, the required items are marked with an asterisk (*).

I accidentally registered for the wrong class. How can I change it?

Please don’t re-register! Call our office at 360.416.6631 or e-mail and we can make the change for you.

I can't remember which class and/or college I registered for. How can I see my registration?

1. If you know your TP ID #, you can login by entering your TP ID # along with your date of birth. The ID is case sensitive, so be sure to capitalize the TP.

2. You may have created a User Name and Password; you can also login using this option. Page 2 of 2

3. If you don’t remember your TP ID # or User Name; email or call the Tech Prep office at 360.416.6631. Give us your full name, date of birth and verify your high school. We will give you your TP ID number.

Note: There is a Forgot Login option under the login boxes that will email your login information to you if you have provided us with a current email address.

Can I make changes to my student profile?

Yes, simply login to the online registration system and click View/Edit Student Profile. From here you can change your address, email address, phone number, etc.

Can I get credit for my class from multiple colleges at the same time?

No. When a Tech Prep class is available for credit at more than one college, you must choose which college you would like to receive credit from. You cannot receive credit for the same class at two colleges.

I took Tech Prep classes last year but didn't register for credit. Can I register now to receive the credit?

No. You must register for the Tech Prep program during the same school year that you are enrolled in the qualifying class. Exceptions may apply for classes that are two (or more) semesters long.

Will my credits transfer to any college?

Credits will transfer within the Washington State community college system. Transferability of credit to four –year colleges depends on the receiving institution. Many students have had their credit accepted at other colleges in Washington and out of state; however, there is no guarantee that your credit will directly transfer. You may be able to use the credits as electives or to satisfy a prerequisite.

When do I receive a college transcript? How do I get an official copy?

The college that awards you credit will generate transcripts during the summer quarter. You may request a transcript by going to and choose the link to order a transcript

What is the difference between an "official" and an "unofficial" transcript?

An official transcript comes in a sealed envelope and is what you will send to the college that you decide to attend. Once the seal is broken, it becomes an unofficial transcript. An unofficial transcript is a copy of your transcript that you can keep for your own records.

What do I do when I am ready to enroll as a college student?

If you are planning to attend the college that has awarded you Tech Prep credit, your credit will already be available for use at that college. If you are planning to transfer your credits to a different college or university you will need to request an official copy of your transcript(s) from the college(s) awarding you the credit to be sent to the institution you are enrolled in. They will review these credits as ‘transfer credits’. You may also need to enter the college course name and number on your college application. Information about your college credits can be found on your college transcript and also on your Tech Prep registration page. If you need help accessing this information, please email us at or call us at 360.416.6631