Queer I am Conference
Queer I Am aims to create a liberating space that engages Queer individuals and their many communities in developing a sense of belonging and pride in Queer culture.
This year the conference will take place at Clark College, Vancouver Wa on November 17th-18th.
Registration dates for the 2017 Queer I am Conference coming soon!
Previous workshop titles include:
- Trans 101
- LGBTQ 101
- Our Stories, Our Voices: Insights into lives of lesbians 70 and older
- Building a Better Masculinity for Our Movement
- Queer Performance, Theatre, and Abjection
- So You Want to Be An Ally
- Effecting Positive Change Using Established Systems
- Poetry for the Revolution
- When the World Asks You to be Either Queer or Asian American, Do You Choose Only One?
- Shifting the Paradigm: How We Influence and Change Our Places of Work and Education
- Self-Preservation in Times of Oppression
- Butches, Femmes, Daddies, Bois, Tops, Bottoms, Bulldaggers, & Lipstick Lesbians: Queering Gender & Sexuality, Historical & Contemporary "Queer"ies
Queer I Am creates a liberating space in education that engages Queer individuals and their many communities in developing a sense of belonging and pride in Queer culture. This Summit is a collaborative project of regional colleges, community organizations, educators, students and organizers. We are proud to invite you to join us in a summit by the people for the people!
Values central to the summit:
• Building community through liberation and celebration of queer culture.
• Providing spaces for safety, healing and growth.
• Fostering accessibility for diverse needs and levels of experience.
• Centering voices and experiences of Queer and Trans People of Color.
• Emphasizing solidarity amongst our queer cultural differences to develop community.
We’re excited to have you join us for our 3rd year!
You can also keep up with state wide events, summit updates, and connect with other people attending and involved through our Facebook:
Student of Color Conference
Save the Date!!!! Student of Color Conference April 12th-14th 2018 at Yakima Convention Center.
More information to come soon!
The conference is guided by five main themes:
- Identity Development: introduce students to concepts and structures that will strengthen their ethnic and/or racial identity.
- Awareness of Others: these workshops are designed to increase students’ awareness, knowledge, and understanding related to race, ethnicity, and other differences of groups other than their own.
- Skill Development: students build and learn skills that they can use to achieve their full potential.
- Social Justice/Social Activism: these workshops will introduce and/or advance students’ understanding of the importance of becoming social agents of change.
- Personal Development: students learn the importance of health and wellness issues related to the mind, body, and soul.
CONFERENCE GOAL:The goal of the conference is to support Washington State students to become more active proponents of their own education and life choices, and expand the opportunities and possibilities for students to become agents of change.
For information about attending please contact: Yadira Rosales at Yadira.Rosales@skagit.edu