Skagit Valley College logo

Frequently Asked Questions

When Are Financial Aid Applications Due?

Please correspond your application due date with the quarter that you are planning on starting classes at SVC.

If you plan on starting...

Summer 2015:            Applications are due by April 1, 2015
Fall 2015:                    Applications are due by June 1, 2015
Winter 2016:               Applications are due by November 10, 2015
Spring 2016:               Applications are due by February 10, 2016

Can I get help filling out the FAFSA?

If you have any questions regarding the completion of your FAFSA you may bring your worksheet and tax returns into the Financial Aid Office and let one of the staff members review it with you. No appointment is necessary. Financial Aid Office hours are as follows:

HOURS: Mount Vernon campus (subject to change):

  • Fall, Winter & Spring (until May 14)
    School Days (Monday-Friday): 9:00-10:00 am, 11:00am-2:00 pm, and 3:00-4:30 pm
  • Spring & Summer (May 15-September 15)
    (Monday-Thursday): 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
  • Financial Aid Office will be closed ALL DAY the Tuesday following finals week each quarter.

HOURS: Whidbey campus - Call 360.679.5320 for hours.

When will I find out if I get financial aid?

Financial aid applications are evaluated and reviewed according to Expected Family Contribution, availability of funds, and the date your file is completed within the award cycles listed above. By completing the application process before the end of the award cycle date, you will have your eligibility determined before the start of the quarter. You will receive full funding consideration for the year if you submit your FAFSA before March 15.

Do I have to be enrolled full-time to get financial aid?

No! Pell Grant recipients are eligible to receive funding at a reduced enrollment with at least one credit. Most other forms of aid are available at less than full-time enrollment as well. Please contact our office for information on how reducing your enrollment may affect your financial aid award.

Can I transfer my financial aid?

You cannot automatically transfer your financial aid from one school to another. You must complete the application process at the college or university that you plan to attend. You should contact the school that you are transferring to and find out about their application process. If you will be transferring from another school to SVC, contact us at (360) 416-7666.

Can I get financial aid for Summer Quarter?

Yes, you can get financial aid for the summer quarter. Financial aid is available to summer students in early July, if your financial aid file is processed and complete, so remember to make arrangements with registration to defer your tuition until then. You will need to be responsible for having enough financial aid to cover the cost of books, based on this anticipated delay.