Reasons to Nominate Students for Champions of Diversity Awards
This is a short list of reasons a student could be nominated but not the only reasons. When nominating a student we look for individuals who have worked to promote diversity in their school, community, church or daily activities.
- Membership or officer in clubs or organizations such as ASB, Be the Change Club, Calling All Colors Club, Church Youth Group, FCCLA Club, Gay Straight Alliance, HEAT, Humane Society, Key Club, Latinos in Action, LEAP, Link Leader, MEChA, Multicultural Club, PFLAG, SADD, Skagit Kids Against Drug Use, Teens Appreciating Diversity, United Skagit Filipino American Organization, Youth in Action, etc.
- Involved in performance groups or active in choir, drama, drumming, folklorico dance, marimba, Monologue Project etc.
- Helped plan, promote and or involved in events/activities such as Cinco de Mayo, Multicultural Awareness Activities Diversity Week, Farm Worker Solidarity March, Fiestas Patrias, Hispanic Week, Latino Graduation, Native American Day, Operation Night Watch etc.
- Volunteered at events/agencies/organizations such as Adopt a Highway/Trail, ARIS, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boys' and Girls' Club, Community Garden, ESL Tutor, Family Career and Community Leaders of America, Christmas Fund, Lincoln Theatre, Maternity Lending Center, Special Olympics, Teachers Aide etc.
- Attended conferences such as Citizen's Academy Training, "Do It", Emerging Leaders, Ethnic Student Retreat, Migrant Student Leadership Conference, Native American Leadership Conference, Students of Color Conference etc.
- Involved in sports or athletic activities such as jaripeo, lasso, pulling canoe for the tribe, referees for soccer games etc.
- Assisting in nursing homes, healthcare facilities and homeless shelters, donating clothing for the poor, feeding the hungry, helping in migrant camps, marching for peace, mentoring peers and/or siblings, raising funds for scholarships and/or world tragedies, translating for others, tutoring young children etc.
- Involved in Northwest Indian College Summer Program, Science and Math Bilingual Program, U-doc Program, Upward Bound etc.
- Earning scout badges in culture and ethnic diversity; Ambassador to Affiliated Tribes or NW Indians. Participated in AVID, Gear UP, Educational Talent Search, Power of Hope, Rotary Int'l Service Group.
- Future plans to improve living conditions in developing countries i.e. Peace Corps.
If completing CoD Nomination Form click here