Students Rights Under FERPA
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records:
- The right to inspect and review your record within 45 days of the date that your request for access is received.
Submit your written request to the Registrar, identifying the record(s) you wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the record may be inspected. If the Registrar does not maintain the record you wish to inspect or review, you will be advised of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
- The right to request an amendment of your educational record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading.
You may ask the College to amend a record that you believe is inaccurate or misleading. Write to the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record to change and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading.
If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, you will be notified of the decision in writing and advised of your right to a hearing to consider the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedure will be provided to you when notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
The college does not publish a student directory. However, FERPA requires that colleges determine what student information is considered to be directory information, which may be released upon request without a student's permission. Skagit Valley College considers the following to be directory information: name, enrollment status, E-mail address, home town/city, photo, honors, certificates or degrees received, dates of attendance, major field of study and athletic program information. The College reserves the right to refuse requests for the release of directory information. Any student who wishes may request in writing that the college not release any directory information to outside entities. To do so, contact the Registrar's Office.
One exception, permitting disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A school official is described as follows:
Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student intends to enroll. However, the College will make a reasonable attempt to notify you of the record request before release.
- A person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff)
- A person or company with whom the College has contracted, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent
- A person serving on the Board of Trustees or a student serving on an official committee, such as disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
In addition, to comply with the Solomon Amendment, the college is required to supply student names, addresses, phone listing, date/place of birth, level of education, and degrees received to military recruiters.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure by Skagit Valley College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is are:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605
For more information about FERPA
Additional information is available by visiting the FERPA Home Page