Skagit Valley College logo



Graduation means being awarded a state approved certificate or degree once all of the requirements for that degree/certificate have been successfully completed.


Commencement is a ceremony in which students have the opportunity to celebrate their academic accomplishments.  Skagit Valley College holds commencement ceremonies at the end of spring quarter each year at the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island Campuses and San Juan Center.  Participation in commencement does not mean that a student has graduated and students do not receive diplomas on that day.


Apply to Graduate and attend Commencement

 1 - *Complete a Diploma Application and turn it in at the Registration office on Mount Vernon Campus, South Whidbey Center and San Juan Center.  Turn in your form at the Student Services office at Whidbey Island Campus.

  • Diploma Application Deadline:  It is recommended that students apply two quarters prior to the expected quarter of graduation.  If you plan to attend this year's commencement ceremonies and receive recognition in the commencement program and be considered for academic awards the deadline is the first Thurday in April, April 7, 2016.
  • Fee:  Application for your initial graduation and commencement is free.  If you are applying for duplicate copies, you will need to pay a $10.00 fee for each duplicate degree and/or certificate(s).  Turn in your form at Cashier office if you are applying for duplicate copies.
  • Commencement:  If you plan on attending commencement, be sure to indicate the campus where you will attend and the year you will attend.  Your name will be included in the commencement program if you complete this section.
  • Name:  Print your name legibly exactly the way you wish it to appear on your diploma.
  • Addresses:  Include both a current address where you can be reached while attending SVC, and a permanent address that will be valid for at least six months after the end of your graduation quarter.
  • Graduation quarter:  Indicate the year and quarter you plan to complete your degree or certificate for each degree or certificate.

2 - Take care of all academic and financial deficiencies.  All academic and financial deficiences must be cleared before degree/certificates will be posted/granted.

 *If you have applied for a degree and/or certificate in the last five years and you did not complete the requirements, you do not need to reapply.  To reactivate an old diploma application please contact:

Mount Vernon Campus, San Juan Campuses:  call (360) 416-7863

Whidbey and South Whidbey Campuses:  call (360) 679-5319


Diploma Information

When you have completed all requirements, your degree/certificate will be posted to your transcript, usually 2-3 weeks after final grades are posted.  Diplomas are normally mailed approximately twelve weeks after the end of a quarter.  If you graduate during a quarter, your diploma will be processed with the current quarter graduates. 

High School Diploma

Per SHB 1758 Skagit Valley College may award an individual who is over 21 years of age, who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, a high school diplomas upon written request from the student.  If you are over 21 and have earned your associate degree and have not earned a high school diploma, be sure to apply for your high school diploma. 



2016 Spring Commencement Ceremonies

San Juan Center
Mount Vernon Campus
Thursday, June 16, 2016- 6:30 pm
Whidbey Island Campus
Friday, June 17, 2016- 6:30 pm
Students are eligible to "walk" in commencement if they are within ten credits, two classes, or one quarter of completing their degree and/or certificate. 

Contact Information

Mount Vernon Campus:  (360) 416-7863

Whidbey Island Campus & South Whidbey Center:  (360) 679-5319
San Juan Center: (360) 378-3220