Skagit Valley College logo

Associate in Music Transfet to WWU

Transfers to WWU

View Music Planning Guide


This degree is intended to prepare students to transfer to Western Washington University with junior standing and with the majority of the prerequisites for a music major completed. This degree partially fulfills the general education requirements (GERs) for four-year transfer. You may need to take additional GERs at WWU.

Completion of the following courses does not guarantee admission as a music major with junior standing. Admission into the WWU Music department is competitive. A competitive GPA, an audition, and a passing score on a music theory test are essential to compete for placement into the major. Students are strongly advised to select and plan courses with their Music department advisor.

Degree Requirements

Students must complete a minimum of 90 quarter credits in courses numbered 100 or above with a grade point average of at least 2.0 in order to graduate from SVC with an Associate in Music Degree. At least 25 of the 90 credits must be earned at SVC. Credits must satisfy course requirements listed below.

NOTE: Common course numbers are in boldface italics.

1. Communication Skills (15 cr.)

  • English 101 (5 cr.), English 103 or 104 (5 cr.)
  • Communication Studies 220 (5 cr.)

2. Quantitative Skills (5 cr.)

Select one course from the following:

  • Mathematics 107, 141, 142, 146, 151, 152, 153

NOTE: Math 141 is the recommended course. If Math 107 or 146 is completed, an additional course or a WWU mathematics exam is required to fulfill this requirement.

3. Integrative Learning Experiences

Integrative learning experiences include Learning Communities and Integrative Experiences.

A Learning Community (LC) is the integrated combination of two or more courses from different areas of inquiry (e.g. sociology and literature, or physics and math, or speech and economics, or composition and philosophy). Learning Communities are indicated in the course schedule.

Integrative Experiences (IEs) are curricular or co-curricular experiences designed by faculty in which students demonstrate their ability to integrate information, concepts, analytical frameworks, and skills from two or more areas of inquiry in a purposeful project or experience. Integrative Experiences that are classes are indicated in the course schedule; co-curricular IEs are indicated in promotion and advising for the experience or project.

Two Learning Communities are required; the third integrative learning experience can be another Learning Community OR an Integrative Experience.

NOTE: Select Learning Community courses from the General Education Requirements list from WWU, available in SVC Counseling and Career Services or through your Music department advisor. Credits earned in the Learning Community may be used to satisfy other degree requirements, such as a combination of a required music course with a Natural World or Culture course. Learning Communities specifically designed for this degree may be offered; consult your Music advisor for information.

4. Music Major Courses

A. Music Theory (30 cr.)
  • Music 141, 142, 143 (freshman year)
  • Music 241, 242, 243 (sophomore year)
B. Music Ear Training (6 cr.)
  • Music 121, 122, 123 (freshman year)
C. Music Lessons (3 cr.)

One-half credit per quarter in instrument or voice for 6 quarters. See your Music department advisor for assistance in selecting courses.

D. Ensemble (6-12 cr.)

Select courses from the following with help from your Music dept. advisor.

  • Music 137, 138, 146, 147, 164
E. Piano (0-12 cr.)
  • Music 111, 112, 113 and/or
  • Music 211, 212, 213
  • Piano placement test will determine course placement. Piano majors may be exempt from this requirement.
F. Learning into Action (1 cr.)
  • Music 229 (consult with Music department advisor)

5. Additional General Education Requirements (21-39 cr.)

You must accumulate at least 90 collegelevel (100 or higher) credits for this degree. Consult the General Education Requirements list for Western Washington University or Central Washington University in the SVC Counseling and Career Services offices or ask your Music department advisor for appropriate course selections.

6. Other Required Courses

  • Lab science (5 cr.)
  • PE 100 and two PE activity credits (3 cr. total)