Remote Services

Remote Services

Remote Services

Two students engaging via video chat

Current COVID-19 Operations

Skagit Valley College is a leader among Washington’s community and technical colleges with its commitment to equity in access, achievement, and community. Thanks to your feedback and suggestions during the challenges of the past year, we have learned a lot about what best supports your success. We know you want a variety of learning and service options. In addition, we also learned that many of our online services have met your needs very well.

As we continue to improve and enhance our services, we are pleased to offer multiple options for instruction and student support: Online, Hybrid, and In-person. With all three options, we remain focused on meeting you where you are right now.

Information About Masks, Social Distancing, and Vaccines

Your health and safety are our top priorities. Skagit Valley College will require students and employees that attend courses or other activities in-person to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or request an exemption based on medical or religious reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, all are welcome at SVC and the college will continue to offer online, hybrid, and in-person options for instruction and services.

Students who are enrolled in in-person classes must self-attest to being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or request a medical or religious exemption. If you do not have an attestation or exemption on file, you will not be able to register for spring quarter classes.

Activate your ctcLink account to complete the attestation/exemption process in the student self-service:

Link to Student Attestation/Exemption form

Guide for Student Attestation/Exemption in ctcLink

If you are not fully vaccinated and do not have an approved exemption on file, you are eligible to enroll in online courses only. Any questions can be directed to Brooke Writer, SVC COVID-19 Coordinator, at [email protected]. Learn more at SVC’s COVID-19 resource page.


SVC’s COVID-19 Masking Policy effective April 12, 2022

Based on recent clarifying information from the Washington State Board of Community and Technical Colleges staff, masks will no longer be required for Skagit Valley College employees with a few exceptions:

SVC remains a vaccinated college per Gov. Inslee’s Higher Education Proclamation. Accordingly, we will continue to require COVID-19 vaccinations and attestations, exemptions, and accommodations as appropriate.


  • Vaccinated students are not required to wear masks in indoor college facilities.
  • Nonvaccinated students with approved exemptions must wear masks while in indoor college facilities.

Although masks are no longer required in many places, individuals may want to continue to wear a mask for added protection against COVID-19.

Questions should be directed to Brooke Writer at 360.416.7686 or [email protected].

Enrollment Services

Enrollment Services is available on-campus to current and prospective students Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Remote delivery including email, phone, and online ZOOM meetings are offered 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Monday-Thursday, and from 9 a.m.–12 p.m. on Friday.

Please use the following contact information and websites:

Enrollment Services Contact Information

How do I drop a class?

We recommend discussing options with your instructor and funding sources before withdrawing. If you would like to proceed with withdrawing from any courses, please email [email protected] from your MySVC account with the following information:

  • Your name
  • ctcLink ID
  • Courses you would like to withdraw from
  • The last date you attended each course (please provide an exact date; if it was an online class, please provide the last date you logged in and interacted with the course).

How do I get my SVC ID card?

We are not issuing ID cards during SVC’s current operations. Please check with [email protected] for updates.

Admissions and Prospective Students

Our Admissions team is here to help! There are several ways to connect with us. You can attend a Virtual Information Session, use the “Chat with Me” feature on our website (hover over “Admissions” in the chat window and click “Chat with Me”), or schedule a phone or online Zoom appointment using the links below.

Diana Peregrina
Outreach Specialist for Basic Education for Adults programs
-Hablo Español-
Email: [email protected]
Schedule an appointment
How do I apply for SVC?

You can apply online using the Washington State Application System at www.skagit.edu/apply. Watch our “How to Apply” videos (in English or Spanish), or contact our Admissions team for assistance at [email protected].

How do I enroll for classes at SVC?

Please visit our Getting Started Webpage at www.skagit.edu/gettingstarted for details. If you need help
along the way, contact our Admissions team at [email protected].

How do I learn more about SVC?

You can attend a Virtual Information Session, or check out our College
Information Session Video.

Placement Testing and Assessment Center

Do I need to take a placement test?

SVC accepts multiple measures to assess placement, including high school transcripts, college transcripts, Smarter Balance test scores, credit by exam (AP, IB, Cambridge, CLEP). If none of these options apply to you, you can schedule an Accuplacer test. (See below.)

NOTE: Through Fall 2020 admissions, we have expanded our high school transcript placement eligibility. If you have completed at least 1.5 years of high school within the past 5 years, we can review your high school transcripts to determine placement.

How do I schedule my placement test?

Accuplacer placement tests can be administered remotely. If you need placement please contact the Testing Center at [email protected]. Please include your DOB, your SID and which test/s you
need to take (Math, Reading, or both).

Running Start Students

I am interested in Running Start, how can I sign up?

Please attend a Virtual Running Start Information Session. You can view and sign up for sessions at www.skagit.edu/events. You can also visit our Running Start website for enrollment steps and FAQ

Running Start students can submit their Running Start Enrollment Verification forms to [email protected]. Scanned copies or uploaded photos are preferred.

  • Please make sure the form is completely filled out, including all required signatures. If you cannot get physical signatures right now, please type your information into the form.

For assistance with getting started, please contact [email protected].


How are classes being offered?

Thank you for choosing SVC! Spring Quarter starts Apr. 4. As we continue to improve and enhance our services, we are pleased to offer multiple options for instruction and student support: Online, Hybrid, and In-person. With all three options, we remain focused on meeting you where you are right now.

Will I be able to complete my classes and graduate on time?

Our goal is to make sure that students experience as little disruption as possible to their academic progress. You will be able to receive full credit for classes you satisfactorily complete. In most cases, students will be able to complete their degrees on time. For programs with lab or studio components, faculty are working on ways to deliver that content online or possibly in condensed sessions at a later time. If you have questions, please contact your advisor or program faculty.

Can lab and field classes be offered online?

Many lab components can be offered and effectively taught in an online format. For programs with disciplinary accreditation requirements—such as (but not limited to) Allied Health, Automotive Tech, Culinary Arts, Nursing, and Welding—program faculty and administration are working to determine alternatives and approaches to deliver these lab or clinical components.

Will I still be charged lab and other course fees in an online environment?

Yes, your fees are used to help support the costs of online supplements, course materials, consumables, simulations, and/or other services that are provided in your online classroom.

How will internships and/or other workplace experience courses be conducted?

Students taking classes that require workplace experience (e.g. internships, externships, practicums, etc.) should check with their instructors, who are receiving regular updates from workplace partners and will be able to communicate directly with you. In most instances, online options will be developed and available.

Will faculty work with me if I get sick during the quarter?

Faculty will accommodate students due to illness, by clearly communicating opportunities and expectations around alternative assignments or makeup work. Students need to be proactive in letting their instructor(s) know if they need accommodations in a timely manner and paying attention to the class syllabus and announcements. Students do not need to provide a doctor’s note for absences related to an illness.

Where can I go to get technical support for my online classes?
  • For questions specific to a course (course content, assignment due dates, tests, etc.), please contact your instructor via email. Look up instructor contact information.
  • For general questions related to learning technologies (for example, Canvas, Zoom, Office 365, Google Docs, MySVC), please contact the eLearning Help Request.

FAQs – Remote Instruction

What does remote instruction mean?

The term “remote instruction” and “online instruction” mean the same thing and are used interchangeably.

The expectation for online instruction is that students and instructors are not required to be online in a synchronous environment (I.e. interacting in the same physical or virtual location at the same time).

What do synchronous and asynchronous in remote (online) instruction mean?

With synchronous remote (online) instruction, instructors and students make pre-arranged virtual meetings. Virtual meetings allow instructors and students to share information, ask and answer questions instantly, through video conferencing and instant messaging applications such as Zoom.

With asynchronous remote (online) instruction, there are no required virtual meetings. Instructors and students use online technologies such as Canvas, online discussion forums and email. The expectation is that students manage their learning time while fulfilling course requirements and outcomes.

What is the intent of remote instruction?

SVC is currently offering remote instruction to help prevent and contain the spread of COVID-19.

Remote instruction provides access and flexibility needed by both students and faculty as they cope with the COVID-19 pandemic. The flexibility of remote instruction comes via one’s ability to manage their learning time while fulfilling course requirements and outcomes.

Are instructors required to conduct remote instructions asynchronously?

Generally, remote instruction is conducted asynchronously because students are not required to be online at a particular time.

An instructor may choose to arrange synchronous meeting times for some class activities. Instructors are asked to record synchronous class sessions and make class recordings available to all students to ensure that they have access to all course content.

Can instructors require students to attend synchronous class sessions?

Students are encouraged to attend synchronous remote instruction whenever possible; but they are not required to be online at a particular time except in special circumstances.

Students who are not able to attend synchronous class sessions will not be penalized.

Instructors are asked to record synchronous class sessions and make class recordings available to all students to ensure that they have access to all course content.

Are instructors required to record synchronous class sessions?

It depends. Instructors record class presentations to help all students, including those who are not able to attend synchronous sessions due to family or job obligations and emergency situations. In addition, all students benefit from viewing class recordings to prepare for tests, assignments and discussions.

Class videos should have captions. Contact eLearning if you need help captioning videos.

What are the FERPA guidelines for class recordings and how do these apply to me?

Faculty and students are required to follow FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) guidelines.

If access to class recordings is limited only to enrolled students, FERPA does not limit or prevent its use and does not require obtaining written consent. Instructors can create access for enrolled students to watch or re-watch past class sessions.

If class recordings are available to individuals not enrolled in the class, FERPA requires the use of consent forms or de-identification of any students depicted.

Class videos are expected to include captions. The eLearning office supports faculty to ensure course content is accessible and can assist with captioning class recordings.

Are we required to make remote instruction accessible?

Yes—The American with Disabilities Act (ADA); the Rehabilitation ACT of 1973; and Washington State Law require course content to be accessible to people with disabilities. (See also SVC Policy for Accessibility, Section 6900)

Students benefit from a learning environment that is accessible for all. For example, students without hearing difficulties may benefit from closed captions when watching a video in a noisy environment or if they are not native English speakers.

The eLearning and Faculty Mentors are available to assist faculty to make course content accessible and add captions to all class recordings.

What steps are taken to guard against academic dishonesty?

The most effective strategies for faculty to maintain academic integrity are the same ones that will best help students to understand and learn course material. To minimize academic dishonesty, SVC’s online courses are designed with the expectation that students: can easily navigate them; are provided clear learning outcomes; and given transparent assignments and assessments.

To prevent academic dishonesty, instructional solutions are better than technical solutions. Instructors are encouraged and trained to build learning units and assessment activities around problems, questions, and challenges that are relevant to the course learning outcomes. Students are given reasons why they should care about the content; provided with real-world examples; and given an opportunity to practice or provide low-stakes assignments before summative assessments. Students who are provided such opportunities, and given regular feedback, are less inclined to cheat and will be more successful.

Technology tools to prevent cheating are available yet if used, should be accessible to all students. Students and faculty can contact the eLearning office for support, including how to obtain required technologies. The following tools are available for use:

  • Canvas test settings which allow for randomized questions, timed quizzes, limitation of attempts to take assessments, recording of late work, and when students can see correct answers. The eLearning office can assist with these settings.
  • VeriCite is a plagiarism prevention tool. When an instructor creates a Canvas assignment that is VeriCite enabled, the system compares student submissions against sources available on the internet, including work submitted by students at SVC and other institutions using VeriCite. It generates a report showing an overview score as well as side by side comparison of the matching text and sources. VeriCite can also be used as a teaching tool because students are able to use results to self-evaluate their work and make corrections as needed.
  • Respondus LockDown Browser is a tool within Canvas that disables the ability for students to: print, copy or go to another website; access other applications; or close a test until it is submitted for grading. Respondus LockDown Browser works on Windows and Mac computers as well as iPads. Unfortunately, it doesn’t support Chromebooks and other mobile devices.

Counseling and Advising and Disability Access Services

Contact an Advisor

Services are available Monday through Thursday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Options for appointments are being offered in person Mon-Wed, by phone, or online Zoom appointment. To schedule an appointment please call 360.416.7654, email [email protected], or chat with:
Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. by clicking here.

  • Advisors are monitoring their email regularly and you may continue to email them your questions or phone them directly.

Mental Health Resources

The news about coronavirus can bring a variety of emotions, and it is natural to feel anxious, scared, angry, or sad because of it. You are not alone. Reach out if you need help coping with the potential effects of social isolation or other concerns you may have that are impacting you at this time.

  • For life-threatening emergencies call 9-1-1
  • Crisis Care Line (24/7): 1-800-584-3578
    Crisis Text Line, text HOME to 741741
  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233

If you are not exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, a reminder that you can go into an emergency room for any urgent reason, including mental health.

If you need assistance in getting connected to resources, contact the SVC Counseling Office at 360.416.7654 to set up
an appointment with a faculty counselor.

Here are some other options for counseling support:

Apple Health coverage/ cobertura de salud de Apple:
  • Sunrise Services Counseling
    2500 East College Way, Mount Vernon WA 98273
    360.336.3762 or walk in to schedule an appointment o ír para programar una cita
  • Compass Health Child and Family Counseling
    1005 South 3rd Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360.419.3600 | Walk in for intake
    8:30-9:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Compass Health Individual Adult Counseling
    1100 South 2nd Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360.419.3500 | Walk in for intake
    8:30-9:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • SeaMar
    2203 Old Highway 99, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360.542.8810 | Walk in for
    8:30, 9:00, 12:30, or 1:00 Tuesdays
Other insurance coverage or private pay:
  • PsychologyToday.com/us – Enter your zip code at
    “Find a Therapist,” then your insurance carrier on the left along with other criteria. One of the options is to narrow down by Online or Phone Counseling.
  • Skagit Behavioral Health
    406 South First Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360.424.0400 or skagitbehavioralhealth.com
In Island County
  • Compass Health Children Services
    230 SE Cabot Drive #3, Oak Harbor, WA 98277
  • Compass Health Individual Adult Counseling
    20 NW 1st St., Coupeville, WA 98239
  • SeaMar
    31640 SR 20 Suite 1, Oak Harbor, WA 98277
In San Juan County

I need support with disability accommodations. How do I set that up?

Services are available on-campus Monday-Wednesday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m and online 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday–Thursday; 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Friday. Staff are monitoring their email regularly and you may continue to email them your questions or phone them directly. Options for appointments are being offered by phone or online Zoom appointment. To schedule an appointment please call 360.416.7654.

Financial Aid

Is Financial Aid continuing to offer services?

Yes! We are offering in-person and virtual options. Please visit www.skagit.edu/financialaid for our current service hours.

How can I check the status of my Financial Aid?

You can view your current application status by logging into the Financial Aid Portal. From there, you can view any remaining requirements outstanding for your application and/or the amounts you have been awarded if your file is already complete.

How do I complete a tuition payment plan while the campus is closed?

Students can now complete a Tuition Payment Plan online in ctcLink! Tuition Payment Plans require a deposit of 1/3 of the total amount due plus a $30.00 processing fee. For more information, please contact:

For more information on how to complete a Tuition Payment Plan, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.

Where can I learn more about Financial Aid at Skagit Valley College?

Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for an extensive list of questions with detailed answers!


Tutoring services are here to help during modified operations. For more information please visit the tutoring website.

Veterans Education

Is Veterans Education continuing to offer services?

Yes! We are offering in-person and virtual options. Please visit www.skagit.edu/veterans for our current service hours and availability.

You can also contact us by email. If you are normally helped at Mount Vernon you can email us at [email protected]. If you are normally helped at the Whidbey Island Campus you can email us at [email protected]

Workforce Grants

Services are available Monday through Thursday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Options for appointments are being offered in person Mon-Wed, by phone, or online Zoom appointment. To schedule an appointment please call 360.416.7971. To submit a Workforce Grants application please email [email protected].

  • Workforce Grants Staff are monitoring their email regularly and you may continue to email them your questions or phone them directly.


TRIO is continuing to offer services via in person and remote delivery. Options for appointments are being offered by phone, in person, or online Zoom appointment. To learn more about our program and to complete an application, please visit https://www.skagit.edu/trio-support-services/.

TRIO staff are in their offices Mondays-Wednesdays from 8 am – 5 pm.

To schedule an appointment or for general questions, please call 360.416.7636. TRIO Advisors are monitoring their email regularly and you may continue to email them your questions or phone them directly.

All TRIO tutoring for students is also continuing in person or online. For more information, please visit the tutoring website.

Basic Education for Adults

The Basic Education for Adults (BEdA) program offers classes for High School Completion, GED prep, and English Language Acquisition. Classes and resources are available in-person or remotely. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please email [email protected] or call at 360.416.7740.

Educación Básica para Adultos

El programa de Educación Básica para Adultos (BEdA) ofrece clases para completar la escuela secundaria, preparación para el GED y adquisición del idioma Inglés. Las clases y los recursos están disponibles en persona o en línea. Para obtener más información o para programar una cita, envíe un correo electrónico a [email protected]  o llame al 360.416.7740.

I need register and enroll into English Language, GED or High School completion classes. How do I make an appointment?

The Basic Education for Adults office is continuing to offer services via remote delivery during modified operations. Options for appointments are being offered by phone or online Zoom appointment. To schedule an appointment to get registered, please email [email protected] or call at 360.416.7640.

  • Advisors are monitoring their email regularly and you may continue to email them your questions or phone them directly.
Necesito hacer una cita con un asesor para inscribirme en clases de ESL, GED o clases para terminar la Preparatoria. Como puedo hacer una cita?

La oficina de Educación Básica para Adultos está ofreciendo sus servicios a distancia (remotamente) durante éste tiempo. Las opciones de citas disponibles se están ofreciendo por teléfono o en línea por Zoom. Para agendar una cita para inscribirse a clases, por favor envíe un correo electrónico a [email protected] o llame al 360.416.7740.

  • Los Asesores están monitoreando su correo electrónico regularmente y usted puede continuar mandando sus correos electrónicos con sus preguntas o llamarlos directamente.

Food Pantry

Is the food pantry available?

We are currently working with our community partner, Helping Hands Food Bank in Sedro-Woolley, to offer a remote food distribution site at SVC Mount Vernon Campus. Please direct questions to Brian Murphy, Director of Student Life.

Spring Quarter Schedule: Distribution will be Wednesdays 10am-3pm. Sign-ups will be available through Canvas on Tuesdays. Students must sign up ahead of time for pick up.

Additional community resources:

  • Helping Hands Food Bank:
    9386 Fruitdale Road, Sedro-Woolley
    Mon and Wed: 9 – 1 pm, Thur 12 – 5 pm, and Fri 5 – 7 pm.
    No ID is required, and you can go once each week.
  • Tri-Parish Food Bank:
    935 Peterson Road, Burlington
    September thru May: Saturday from 1 – 3 pm
    June thru September: Wednesdays 2 – 6 pm
  • Neighbors in Need:
    1615 South 2nd Street, Mount Vernon
    Tuesdays 1– 6pm
  • Help House:
    1091 SE Hathaway St, Oak Harbor
    Mon, Wed, Thur and Fri 8 am – 12 pm and 1 – 4 pm
    Tue 8am – 12pm and 1 – 5 pm

Student Tuition Payments, Refunds and Tax Statements

Tuition & Fee Payments (Cashiering)

Tuition and Fees can be paid online or via the phone. Special arrangements will be made for students that need to pay with cash or check.

  • To pay full tuition owed online, please go to the SVC Website, under MySVC, Payment & Earnings, Pay Tuition and Fees: https://secure.skagit.edu/logintb.asp?func=pay
  • To pay tuition via phone (for tuition payment plans, parking fines, library fines, etc): Payment can be made by phone by calling the following phone numbers:
    • Mount Vernon Campus Cashier:
      Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
      Friday: 9 a.m.-Noon
      Call: 360.416.7805 or 360.416.7653
    • Whidbey Island Campus Cashier:
      Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
      Friday: 9: a.m.-Noon
      Call: 360.679.5353
  • Payments can be mailed to the campus by check. Please include your Student ID # on the check and phone number. Mail to: Skagit Valley College. Attn: Business Office, 2405 E. College Way, Mount Vernon, WA 98273

For students with Vouchers from third party agencies to pay student tuition and fees, please have those agencies scan/email those Vouchers electronically to [email protected] and those payments will be applied to your student account.

Tuition Payment Plans

The Skagit Valley College Mount Vernon Cashier is facilitating Tuition Payment Plans for all campuses during our period of remote operations. Contact the SVC cashier at 360.416.7805 to apply for the payment plan and make your initial payment. Otherwise, you may email your completed and signed form to [email protected]. A cashier will get back to you as soon as possible to get your debit or credit card information to process your payment, so please be sure there is a contact phone number. For information about SVC’s Tuition Payment Plan, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.

1098T Tax Forms

If you have questions regarding the 2019 Tax Credit, please see the SVC Website, under MySVC at https://secure.skagit.edu/hopeinfo.asp

If you did not receive a copy of your 1098T tax form, and would like to request a re-print copy of the form, please call the SVC Tax Credit Hotline at 360.416.6715. Tax Forms will be mailed to an address that you provide us.

Student Checks – Emergency Checks and/or Refunds by Check

All checks will be provided to students by mail only. Please make sure your address with the school is up to date.

If you paid tuition by credit card, and are receiving a refund, the refund will be applied back to the card that paid the tuition and fees originally.  Refunds by check are only for tuition and fees that were originally paid by check or cash.


I don’t have a parking pass. How do I get one?

You will not need a student parking pass for Summer Quarter in all student parking areas.

I need to talk to Security about an issue/report a problem/claim lost property.

On Mount Vernon Campus, please call 360.416.7777 or use one of the call boxes on campus to contact Security. At Whidbey Island Campus please call 360.679.5383. An Officer will meet you to help you with the issue.

Continuing and Community Education

Continuing and Community education courses are all online! Check out our course catalog for current and future offerings.

CCE courses do not qualify for financial aid. Campus materials such as laptops or mobile hotspots are not available for noncredit courses.

IT FAQs for Students

Can I check-out a laptop?

Yes, the libraries at the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses have laptops available for you to check-out for the entire quarter. You will need to schedule an appointment to pick up your laptop.  Directions about where and how to receive your laptop will be emailed to you when you make your appointment.

Laptops come with a webcam, microphone, and a port for your wired set of earbuds. Earbuds are not included.

Do I need a webcam?

Webcams are not required for most online classes. However, you will probably need a microphone. Check with your instructor to see if this is a requirement.

If you only need a microphone, we recommend purchasing a wired set of earbuds with a microphone. These are available from many stores including convenience stores and gas stations for under $10.

Almost all models of laptops and smartphones come with a camera and microphone that work for most online classes. Check to see if your personal computer or tablet already has a webcam and microphone by going to your ‘settings’ or ‘preferences’ and searching for “camera.”

If you do not have a webcam, or you are having trouble using your webcam, please let us know

Do I need specific software?

For all classes, you will need to browse the Internet and be able to compose word documents.  Some classes will require additional software.   The IT Helpdesk can help you access most software needed for your online classes. Contact the IT Helpdesk or your instructor for more information.

SVC students are entitled to a free copy of Microsoft Office Suite. See the link on the student portal or click here.

How do I use Zoom?

Zoom is an online video tool that comes with a very helpful set of instructions. Click here for more details.

If you have trouble operating Zoom, please feel free to contact the IT Helpdesk.

My computer isn’t working. What can I do to fix it?

The IT Helpdesk can help you troubleshoot microphones, printers, connection to hotspots, your smartphone, and more. If you are experiencing issues with your technology, be sure to let your instructor know.

Our IT team should be able to resolve most issues on your laptop if you checked it out from the library. We may not be able to resolve technical issues on your personal device.

Internet Connection
How to Get Internet at Your Home

Several companies offer Internet service, including Comcast, AT&T, Frontier and Wave. All of these companies offer low-cost options. Comcast is offering 60 days of free Internet to income-qualified people as part of its Internet Essentials package. AT&T also offers a low-cost option for home Internet service through its Access package.

How to Get Internet Through Your Cellphone

If you have a smartphone, you can connect the Internet to your computer with the hotspot feature.

Many cellphone companies are offering extra data due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Contact your cellphone provider for details and prices.

How to Get Internet From Free Public Hotspots

There are many public areas in our community that provide wireless Internet (WiFi).

Due to COVID-19, Comcast made all of its Xfinity hotspots free. For a list of Xfinity hotspot locations go to wifi.xfinity.com. AT&T has also made all of its hotspots free.

Skagit Valley College has WiFi available in two of the parking lots. Visit our website for more details.

How to Borrow an Internet Hotspot

The libraries at the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses have WiFi hotspots available for you to check-out for the entire quarter. You will need to schedule an appointment to pick up your hotspot.

Do I need a printer?

No, all of your materials can be read online.  The $5 printing allowance available on-campus prior to the Covid-19 is no longer necessary.  The unused money will be returned to the Student Technology Fee Fund.  Let your instructor know if you have a special need to print.

How can I get financial assistance?

SVC offers several scholarships to students for small expenses, such as Internet bills.  See more information on our Financial Aid Website.

I need special accommodations. What resources are available?

If you need Dragon Speak software or audio versions of materials, please contact SVC’s Disability Access Services. If you need extra time or help with assignments, please contact your instructor.

Where can I get technical support for my online classes?

For questions or support related to a specific course (course content, assignment due dates, tests, etc.), please contact your instructor via email. Lookup instructor contact information

For general questions related to learning technologies (for example, Canvas, Zoom, Office 365, Google Docs, MySVC), please contact the eLearning Help Request.


Is the library open?

Yes! Spring quarter library hours are:

Library hours for Spring Quarter

Mount Vernon Campus Whidbey Island Campus
  • Mon. and Thu. | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Tue. and Wed. | 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
  • Fri. | 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
  • Mon., Wed., and Thu. | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Tue. | 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
  • Fri. remote only | 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

Please visit the library website to access services and get more detailed information.

How do I pick up learning resources or equipment (e.g., calculators, lab kits, laptops, etc.) from the library?

If SVC or your instructor has requested you pick up learning resources from the library, come to the library during open hours.  There is no need to make an appointment.  If you need to pick up an item outside of library hours, please call 360.416.7837 during regular library hours to arrange a time to pick up materials from security.

Returning Materials

Mount Vernon Campus Library 

Library materials can be returned during library hours: Mon. – Thurs., 9 am – 4 pm

To return laptops and other large items outside of library hours, please call the circulation desk at 360.416.7837 or email [email protected] to arrange drop off.

In case of no answer or after business hours, contact the Mount Vernon Campus Security at 360.416.7777.

Whidbey Island Campus Library 

Library materials can be returned during library hours: Mon. – Thurs., 9 am – 4 pm.

To return laptops or other large items outside of library hours, please call the Whidbey Library at 360.679.5322 or email [email protected] to arrange drop off.

In case of no answer or after business hours, contact Whidbey Island Campus Security at 360.679.5383.


Cardinal Bookstore Remote Operations – Spring Quarter 2022

The Mount Vernon Campus Cardinal Bookstore hours for spring quarter are:

Rush Week: 8 a.m.-5 p.m Monday, April 4 through Friday, April 8

Regular Hours: 8 a.m.–5 p.m Mondays-Wednesdays; Closed – Thursdays and Fridays

The Whidbey Island Campus bookstore remains closed.

How can students order textbooks? 

Orders for spring quarter course materials can be placed either:

Orders placed by telephone can either be shipped to students via UPS, or students can pick up prepaid orders using the bookstore’s Curbside Pickup Service. Prepaid orders can also be picked up in store at the Mount Vernon campus.

Can orders be shipped via UPS at the customer’s request?

  • Orders for course materials will be shipped via UPS.  UPS shipping rates are:
    • $15.00 per order – Regular UPS Ground Service
    • $30.00 - 2nd Day UPS Service

Does the bookstore provide Curbside Pickup Service?  

Yes, Curbside Pickup Service available at the Mount Vernon Campus store only.

  • Customers can pick up prepaid orders using curbside pickup at no additional charge. 
  • Once the customer’s order is processed, the bookstore will contact the customer and let them know the order is ready to be picked up. The bookstore staff member will then provide the telephone number to call once the customer comes to the curbside pickup designated parking area in front of the Cardinal Center on the Mount Vernon campus. The curbside pickup area will also be readily marked and signed with instructions. 
  • Customers will be required to show identification when picking up prepaid orders. 
  • Customers will remain in their vehicle while picking up prepaid orders.
  • Hours for curbside pickup are:  
    • Rush week: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday  
    • Regular hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Wednesday

How can students make a purchase with an agency funded account, such as Veterans Association, Labor and Industries, Workforce Grants, Basic Food Employment and Training, Workfirst, etc.?

Students with an agency funded account may make purchases by coming into the bookstore, or they will need to call the bookstore to place an order.

  • Students will need to have their registration available when they call the bookstore so they can confirm the courses they are registered in.
  • Students will also need to know the textbooks and materials that have been approved to purchase.
  • Cardinal Bookstore contact for placing orders is shown above.

Please Note: All students with agency funded accounts for spring quarter will need to provide a ctcLink Student Number.

How can students return textbooks and course materials? 

  • Returns and exchanges can be processed in store at the Mount Vernon Campus bookstore.

Is a textbook buy back scheduled for spring quarter? 

  • There is not a textbook buyback scheduled for spring quarter.

Human Resources

Is SVC still hiring?

SVC will continue to evaluate hiring needs and post positions as needed. For more information on job openings go to: https://www.skagit.edu/about/human-resources/current-job-openings

Are job interviews happening in-person or online?

Interviews will be on-line at this time.

What if I don’t feel well on the day of my interview?

If you are sick on the day of your interview, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].

How will HR handle new hires? Will New Hire Clinics still be available?

New Hire Clinics are suspended at this time. HR will coordinate the new hire process by appointment only as the I-9 process requires documents be inspected in-person. Contact Human Resources at [email protected].

Who do I contact for employment verification?

External organizations requesting employment data for SVC employees can email the request to [email protected]. All requests for verification of employment must include a signed release from the employee. Employment verification documents can also be faxed to 360.416.7878. HR staff are able to receive and respond to faxes during closure.

How can I receive a copy of my 2019 W2?

Current and former employees who need a copy of their W2 should email [email protected]. Employees should be prepared to provide additional identifying information.

I am an employee of SVC. Where can I find more information?

HR will be posting FAQ’s for employees and supervisors on the SVC Portal under Human Resources.

International Programs

For general questions about becoming an International Student at Skagit Valley College, please email [email protected]. If you are a current student, please contact Anji Viola ([email protected]). They are monitoring their emails daily and can arrange for video meetings when needed.

CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) – Public Disclosure Information

To view HEERF public disclosure information and reports, please visit our Finance & Operations webpage: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) – Public Disclosure Information

English language icon Spanish language icon Chinese language icon (Simplified) Chinese language icon (Traditional) Japanese language icon Vietnamese language icon Ukrainian language icon Korean language iconRussian language icon