Select Page

Information for Parents

Students Welcome

Information for Parents

Students Welcome

Information for Parents

Students Welcome

Frequently Asked Questions

Access to Student Records

Why is SVC unable to tell me anything about my student?
According to federal law, college students have the right to the privacy of all their education records including grades, financial information, and disciplinary records. Under this law, parents who want to gain access to a student’s records can do so if the student signs a Release of Information form. Unless a student makes other arrangements with us, we do not contact parents about his or her progress at college. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate with the parent and tell how things are going. The student may talk to a Skagit Valley College staff person about other options available for release of information to their parents.
How can I get a copy of my student's grades?

The easiest and fastest way to obtain information about your child’s grades or records is for the student to provide it for you. Students can look up information by logging in Online at the Student’s Toolbox and either print it off or email a copy to you.

Since I'm paying for my child's education, why can't I get a copy of his/her records?
FERPA requires that access to a college student’s records must be released by approval of the student. However, parents can receive information about their student if they show proof that the student is financially dependent for IRS purposes. To do so, submit a copy of your tax records that show dependent status, to the registration office. Please know that our staff may not be able to grant your request immediately as they are required to have the Registrar’s permission prior to releasing student records to anyone other than the student.
How can I get verification of my student's enrollment and grade point average for my insurance company?
A verification form may be obtained through the Admissions and Registration Office. The form requires the student’s signature, and then it may be mailed to the college or dropped off at the office to be processed.
How do I get a message to my student?
For emergencies only, Skagit Valley College admission number, 360.416.7600, is the first place to call if you need to contact your student. Although we cannot guarantee we can reach your student, we do make the effort to do so. If the student is in class, as per his or her schedule, we will deliver the message to the instructor for disbursement. We will return a message to parents to let them know if we could successfully complete delivery. In case of extreme emergency, the Deans office will be alerted and necessary steps are taken to locate your student on campus.

Paying for My Student’s Education

How do I know if my student's tuition is paid in full?
Your student can look up their current schedule at MySVC and it will show the tuition at the bottom of the screen.  Login to MySVC to access this information.  It will show the outstanding balance or a zero balance if tuition is paid.
Do I have to pay tuition all at once?
Tuition must be paid in full on or before the due date. If your financial aid award is not enough to cover tuition or is not in place by the tuition date, you must still pay by the due date. The Financial Aid office has a Tuition Payment Plan available that requires a $30.00 processing fee, without interest. They will loan up to 60% of the tuition and fees. Books or supplies are not covered under the Tuition Payment Plan.
How do I pay for my student's education?
To find out more about how to apply for financial aid and scholarships click on the Financial Aid Web page. If you are unable to pay your tuition you may contact the Financial Aid Office regarding a Tuition Payment Plan. Information on student employment on campus, work-study, and institutional work-study is available through the financial aid office.
Why do I have to give my income information when my student applies for financial aid?
Congress has determined that parents are responsible for providing for their children’s educational expenses until they achieve independent status.  In general, to be classified as an independent student a person must fit into one of the following categories:

  • 24 years of age
  • married
  • have own dependents
  • be a veteran of the military
  •  working on a master’s degree
  • or have extreme extenuating circumstances.

If a student cannot fit into one of these categories, then the parent is required to provide information on the FAFSA form to determine financial aid eligibility.

Are there part-time job opportunities while attending SVC?
Yes. Many of our students work on and off campus while they attend college. Our Career Center maintains an Online Job Board link on the Career Services webpage. In addition, there are on-campus work-study jobs listed on the board in the Financial Aid office.

Selecting the Right Program

How can I help my student choose the right class?
Choosing the right class is very important for a new student’s success in their first quarter. It is highly recommended that all new students attend an advising orientation through the Counseling and Career Center before registering for classes.
Is there any honor society for students who maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher?
Yes. The Phi Theta Kappa is the honor society.
How can students purchase their books before the quarter begins?
Students may buy books at the Cardinal Bookstore on campus or online at www.cardinalbookstore.com. To determine which textbooks to purchase students can obtain their class schedule online, print it, and take it to the bookstore.
What is Tech Prep?
Tech Prep credit is college credit that is earned at the student’s high school. Tech Prep college credit can be applied two different ways.

  1. Credit can be applied towards the Professional/Technical degree in the specific area in which the credit was granted.
  2. Credit applied as “restricted electives” towards an Associate of Arts University College Transfer degree earned at a Washington State Community College.

Student Success

What is the difference between a high school and college environment?
The college environment requires students to function independently, be self-directed, and be mature enough to handle adult subject matter and a diverse population. College students are expected to contribute to the learning environment and behave in a manner that will not disrupt instruction, the classroom, events, or other campus settings. The college workload averages two hours of homework for every hour of class time.
What does SVC do to help students adjust to the first week of classes?
We encourage all new students to attend the new student orientation that is held the day prior to the first day of the quarter. During this orientation, the student will learn how to survive the first few weeks of the quarter. Faculty, staff, and students will share their experiences and expectations of the new student. The Fast Track program is an in-depth orientation program offered prior to fall quarter that earns the student two college credits.
What if my student is struggling academically? How can I help?
Students, particularly new students, can encounter academic difficulties. The adjustment to a college environment can be challenging for the high school graduate. If you find signs of declining interest in a subject or increased frustration you should refer your student to contact their advisor at the Counseling and Career Center. The Drop-in Tutoring Center is a great starting point for students to find assistance in individual subjects.
If my student is having problems with the teacher, how can I set up a teacher conference?
Trying to arrange teacher conferences or making personal phone calls to the instructor to discuss your student’s performance is inappropriate at the college and university level. When the minor student is enrolled in a college class they are considered to be a responsible adult, like any other student. Students (regardless of age) are expected to take the initiative to address academic or personal problems that may interfere with their ability to succeed in a course. The college provides ombudspersons, advisors, and counselors to assist students in overcoming academic difficulties, up to and including a grievance process if students feel they have been treated unjustly. However, it is entirely inappropriate for parents to contact faculty or academic administrators about their child’s performance – that is the responsibility the child assumes when registering for college-level classes.
What if my child has math anxiety?
SVC instructors and staff are well aware that many students have fear and anxiety around taking math classes. There are several on-going sources of support for math anxious students. The College Success Skills I (CSS 100) class provides students with a comprehensive set of skills related to college success, which include strategies for general test anxiety and for math anxiety. The math department has created a Math Center in Ford Hall 212. The Center is a place for students to study math where they will find other math students working, instructors who are able to answer questions and a variety of computer math resources. In addition, the Tutoring Center in Lewis Hall 20 offers several hours a day of drop-in math tutoring during the academic quarter. Students can get one-on-one help with questions in their current math classes. A student experiencing math anxiety can also meet with a counselor in the Counseling and Career Services area to talk about their concerns and fears. The counselors will help the student to identify strategies and can refer students to quarterly workshops related to math anxiety.
College Success Tools and Tips
Be Present in Class! Some classes do not take attendance, but it is important to be present. The information you may miss will affect the success of your learning process. Keep your Syllabus. Your syllabus is your contact with your instructor. It includes instructor contact information, required course texts, class objectives, assignment deadlines, and grade computation. Be Prepared for the Class Have the necessary supplies and textbooks needed for the class, and also be prepared for engaging in class discussions. Take class notes
English language icon Spanish language icon Chinese language icon (Simplified) Chinese language icon (Traditional) Japanese language icon Vietnamese language icon Ukrainian language icon Korean language iconRussian language icon