Select Page

International Programs

International and Study Abroad Services

International Programs

International and Study Abroad Services

International Students

International and Study Abroad Services
International Students at Skagit Valley College

Contact Us

International Programs

2405 East College Way
Mount Vernon, Washington
98273-5899 U.S.A.

Phone: 360.416.7891
Fax: 360.416.7868
Email: [email protected]

Request Information

For more information, contact:

Brian Hanchett
Faculty Counselor
Lewis Hall, L-113N
[email protected]

High School Completion

Skagit Valley College offers High School Completion, a unique opportunity for students to earn both high school and college credits at the same time. Students earn a US high school diploma recognized around the world.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum age requirement?
High School Completion is open to all students 16 years or older.
What is the prior education requirement?
Open to all students, regardless of how many years of high school have been completed.
What are the admission requirements?
  • SVC application
  • Bank statement
  • Application fee
  • Letter of recommendation
  • Official transcripts. (There will be an English placement test. If the student is not proficient in English**, the student will be placed in ESL classes.)
  • International Computer TOEFL 450 or SVC IELI level 4
  • International Paper TOEFL 133 or SVC IELI level 4
  • International Internet TOEFL 45 or SVC IELI level 4
  • At least 16 years of age
How long will it take to finish my high school diploma?
Most students who have finished the 11th grade in their home country can earn the high school diploma in two quarters at SVC, or about six months. We can give you an estimate of how long it will take based on your high school transcripts and English level.
How can I take college classes in high school completion?
Courses will be college-level courses that satisfy both high school and college requirements. The only exception to this would be below college level math and below college level English. Below college level math and English will only count toward the high school requirements, they are not counted as college-level credit.
How are my high school courses determined?
The State of Washington High School Diploma requires course credits in English, math, social studies, science, occupational education, physical education, and electives. Your high school transcripts will be evaluated to determine which courses you have already taken and which courses you will take at SVC.
What are the transcript requirements?
Complete official transcripts must be submitted with your application to the International Programs Office. You should submit transcripts for all coursework completed that are equivalent to US grade levels 9, 10, 11, and 12. This may include the last year of study in junior high school in your home country. Transcripts must include:


  • Official original transcripts or certified copies and certified English translations
  • Name and address of the institution
  • Dates of attendance
  • Class or grade level
  • Courses that have been taken
  • Grades earned and an explanation of grading scale
  • Credit hours (hours per week per subject)
What if I don't have English proficiency** yet?
Students will be accepted to our Academic English as a Second Language Program. There are three levels of classes in reading, writing, grammar, and speaking/listening. Students who pass AESL 70/75 (high/intermediate) with at least a 2.0 GPA will be accepted into the High School Completion Program which starts at the advanced level.
** How can I satisfy requirements in English proficiency?
Skagit now accepts any of the following English tests:


International Computer TOEFL: 133 or higher
International Paper TOEFL: 450 or higher
International Internet TOEFL: 45 or higher

Course Requirements

  • English
  • Math
  • Social Studies
    • U.S. History
    • Contemporary World Problems
    • Washington State History (waived for seniors)
  • Science
  • Occupational Education
  • Physical Education/Health
  • Electives

Placement Requirements

  • English and math placement tests at SVC
  • Complete transcripts of all high school courses finished


  • Advising required prior to enrollment in college-level classes
  • Immigration requires a minimum 2.0 GPA and 12 credits earned per quarter
  • Diploma issued by Skagit Valley College meeting Washington State requirements

Request Information

For more information, contact:

Brian Hanchett
Faculty Counselor
Lewis Hall, L-113N
[email protected]

English language icon Spanish language icon Chinese language icon (Simplified) Chinese language icon (Traditional) Japanese language icon Vietnamese language icon Ukrainian language icon Korean language iconRussian language icon