2023 Commencement Ceremonies
All ceremonies will be available online via livestream. We will continue to follow state and local health guidelines regarding masks. Masks will not be required, but attendees are welcome to wear them. These guidelines will apply unless otherwise posted, and we will provide updates to the SVC website if circumstances change.
San Juan Center Ceremony
San Juan Center
12:30 p.m. Wednesday | June 14, 2023
Balcony of the San Juan Center
221 Weber Way, Friday Harbor
Mount Vernon Campus | Two commencement ceremonies
2 p.m. Thursday | June 15, 2023 | Ceremony A
6 p.m. Thursday | June 15, 2023 | Ceremony B
Dave DuVall Pavilion, Mount Vernon Campus
2405 East College Way, Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon Ceremony Grouping – Thursday, June 15
Ceremony ‘A’ – 2 p.m.
- Departments participating to be determined.
Ceremony ‘B’ – 6 p.m.
- Departments participating to be determined.
Whidbey Island Campus Ceremony
6 p.m. Friday | June 16, 2023
Oak Harbor High School Gymnasium
1 Wildcat Way, Oak Harbor
Students are eligible to “walk” in commencement if they are:
- within ten credits or two classes of completing their program; or
- scheduled to complete their degree and/or certificate by the end of Summer 2023.
Participation in commencement does not mean that a student has satisfied all courses required to graduate with a degree or certificates, and students do not receive diplomas on the day of commencement. To receive a diploma, students must complete a graduation application.
To ensure that your name appears in the printed commencement program, you must submit your graduation application by April 25, 2023. You may still apply to graduate after April 25, but you name will not be printed in the commencement program, and you will not receive recognition for honor awards during the ceremony.
Apply for Graduation and Commencement
There are two steps:
- Make sure you complete your graduation application by Tuesday, April 25 to ensure your name will be printed in the Commencement Program.
- RSVP by June 9 to participate in the Commencement ceremony. Link to RSVP is forthcoming.
Join us and get ready to graduate!
10a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, May 24 | Cardinal Knutzen Center and Oak Hall 2nd Floor Lobby
Get ready for commencement! Join us for fun and activities at Commencement Kickoff. There will be music, food, and activities such as graduation cap decorating. You’ll also be able to pick up your regalia. The bookstore will be offering a sale on college swag.
Sign up links coming soon!
GradImages will also be available to take headshots and group photos of students with a full backdrop and props.
GUIDELINES TO PURCHASE CAP & GOWNS
CARDINAL BOOKSTORE – GUIDELINES TO PURCHASE CAP AND GOWNS 2023
Cap and gown orders for the SVC 2023 Commencement will be available for graduates to purchase starting May 15 at the Mount Vernon Campus Cardinal Bookstore.
- Grads can also place and order for cap and gowns by telephone using Visa or Mastercard. Please contact Janet Salas, Assistant Manager – 360.416.7866.
- Cap and gowns can be purchased through the bookstore even if graduates are not participating in the commencement ceremony.
- Cap and gown orders can be paid in store by cash, check, Visa, or Mastercard.
- Pricing for cap and gown packages as well as individual items are shown below.
|SVC 2022 Graduation Items||Price|
|GRAD PACKAGE: CAP, GOWN, TASSEL, & DIPLOMA COVER (participating in commencement)||$49.98|
|GRAD PACKAGE: CAP, GOWN, TASSEL, WITHOUT A DIPLOMA COVER||$37.99|
|RED GOWN ONLY||$26.00|
|RED CAP ONLY||$11.00|
|WHITE TASSEL & DIPLOMA COVER ONLY||$21.98|
|DIPLOMA COVER ONLY||$11.99|
|WHITE TASSEL ONLY||$9.99|
- Graduation gowns are one size fits all and sizes vary only by height in two-inch increments. Please be prepared to designate your height when placing your order.
- Graduation caps are one size fits all.
- Honor cords will also be distributed by Student Services prior to commencement. Honor cords are not distributed by the Bookstore. Questions regarding honor cords should be directed to: [email protected]
- Cap and gown orders can be picked up in person at the Mount Vernon Campus Bookstore, or by using the MV Campus Bookstore’s curbside pickup service.
- Cap and gowns orders can be picked up at the Oak Harbor Campus by special arrangement only. Please contact the Bookstore for details.
- Graduates can have cap and gown orders shipped to their home via UPS for a $15.00 fee.
- Graduates should confirm they meet all requirements for graduation before purchasing cap and gowns. There are no refunds on cap and gowns.
PLEASE NOTE: SVC Bachelor of Arts (BA) graduates must contact the Bookstore to place a prepaid order for cap and gowns. Pricing for BA cap and gown packages will be $49.98 including a diploma cover, and $35.99 without a diploma cover. BA cap and gowns are sold as packages only. Individual items are not available. BA cap and gown orders must be placed by May 1st. BA grads will be contacted individually by the bookstore regarding cap and gown orders.
If graduates have questions regarding cap and gowns, please contact Janet at 360.416.7866.
More Commencement Information: Coming in early April to students who have applied to graduate.
Commencement ceremony information will largely be distributed to graduates via email, please keep an eye on your email account for specific commencement details in the upcoming weeks.
Graduation means being awarded a state-approved diploma, certificate or degree once all the requirements for that degree/certificate have been successfully completed.
Commencement is a ceremony in which students have the opportunity to celebrate their academic accomplishments. Skagit Valley College holds commencement ceremonies at the end of spring quarter each year at the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses, as well as the San Juan Center. Participation in commencement does not mean that a student has satisfied all courses required to graduate with a degree or certificate. Students do not receive diplomas on the day of commencement.
Apply to Graduate and Attend Commencement
Diploma Application Deadline: There is no graduation application deadline however there are deadlines related to commencement, see below. Your application and initial diploma are free.
- Addresses: Please include both a current and a permanent address. The diploma will be mailed to the permanent address.
- Commencement: You will be invited to participate in Commencement Activities in early April.
If you wish to have your name printed in the Commencement Ceremony Program, you must submit your graduation application by Tuesday, April 25, 2023.
*If you did not complete the degree/certificate requirements, send an email to [email protected] letting us know the quarter you plan on finishing. The application will be deleted after two quarters if no notification is provided.
Your degree/certificate will be posted to your transcript approximately 4 to 6 weeks after final grades are posted. The initial diploma is free and typically mailed approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the end of a quarter. An electronic diploma will be available sooner.
High School Diploma
Skagit Valley College may award an individual who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, a high school diploma upon request from the student. If you have earned your associate degree, and have not earned a high school diploma, be sure to apply for your high school diploma.
You may reorder your diploma through Parchment if you lose the original or would like another copy.
- SVC charges a $10.00 replacement fee for diploma reorders.
- Parchment charges a $3.00 service fee plus standard shipping costs.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional charge.
Find out more
Still have questions regarding Graduation and Commencement?