Course PlacementWelcome, students!
Course PlacementStudents Welcome
Course PlacementStudents Welcome
Placement for math and/or English
For placement into your math and/or English courses, you may provide an unofficial transcript to your advisor at New Student Orientation. This will assist with placement into your first quarter of courses only, and not provide you with credit or a continuation of the courses serving as prerequisite courses.
It is in your best interest to submit your transcripts from your prior colleges in order for the credit to be awarded and continue to serve as pre-requisite coursework for any future quarter at SVC.
In order for any courses to apply to your program of study, you must have an official transcript evaluated for transfer credits.
Should I request a transcript evaluation?
Yes, if you:
- Plan to earn a degree or certificate at SVC.
- Want to use previous course credit to fulfill pre-requisite requirements.
If classes elsewhere apply to a pre-requisite for an SVC class, you may use an unofficial copy of your transcript to receive permission to override prerequisites, though you will want to follow up with a transcript evaluation because those courses will not continue to satisfy pre-requisite courses in future quarters
How do I have my transcript(s) evaluated?
- Order official transcripts from all other colleges or universities you have attended
- SVC recommends you order an unofficial transcript for yourself at the same time. You may use the unofficial copy for advising purposes only in your first quarter of enrollment.
- Submit a Transcript Evaluation Request.
How long does it take?
Please allow up to 8 weeks from the receipt of all materials for the completed evaluation.
What will transferred credits look like at SVC?
The Transfer Evaluation System (TES) is a tool to assist you in understanding how the college credits you completed from another regionally accredited institution will transfer to SVC. If the course and/or school is not listed on TES, an equivalent currently does not exist. However, that does not necessarily mean the course won’t be transferred or the school won’t be recognized.
The following courses will not transfer to SVC:
- Courses numbered below 100
- Courses specific to one religion
- English as a Second Language/English Language Acquisition courses
- Non-credit continuing education courses
- Courses graded below a ‘D’ or equivalent
- SVC is on the quarter system. Credits from colleges and universities on a semester system transfer by a multiple of 1.5 (Example: 3 semester credits = 4.5 quarter credits).
- Transferred courses will not appear on your official SVC transcript, but there will be a note referring to how many transfer credits were accepted.
- Transferred courses will display in ctcLink as the SVC course equivalent, not the original course name and number.
- Transferred courses will display in ctcLink as completed on the date the credits were transferred, not when the course was actually completed.
Can I receive a copy of my other college transcript(s) from SVC?
Transcripts, once received, become the property of the college and will not be released to students or others.
International Transcript Application and Evaluation Process
To have your international transcript evaluated, please follow the steps here.