Select Page

Financial Aid

Helping you finance your education

Financial Aid

Helping you finance your education

Financial Aid

Helping you finance your education

Washington College Grant

Free Money for College!

The Washington College Grant (WCG) provides guaranteed college funding through the state to all eligible residents of Washington State, including low- and middle-income students. The first step toward getting funding through the grant is to complete a federal or state financial aid application: FAFSA or WASFA.

The WCG program and eligibility funding was expanded to provide some level of funding to more students.  In addition to eligibility expansion, full funding for the WCG program is now guaranteed for all eligible students.

Eligibility for WCG is determined based on the completion of a state or federal financial aid application, which is what Skagit Valley College uses to determine eligibility for all financial aid. Students who are eligible to complete the FAFSA should do so, and those who are ineligible to complete the FAFSA, may complete the WASFA.https://fafsa.ed.gov

Frequently Asked Questions

How and when do I submit the FAFSA or WASFA?

Submit the FAFSA or WASFA as soon as possible starting Oct. 1 for the following year. Include SVC, school code 003792, in your list of schools.

Should I fill out the FAFSA or WASFA?

Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you are a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.

Complete the WASFA (Washington Application for State Aid) if you have HB1079 or DACA status.

I did my FAFSA or WASFA. Now what?

If you are a new student planning to attend SVC, be sure to apply now!

Check your Financial Aid Portal. Financial Aid will send notifications to the email address you included on your financial aid application. Additionally, you can always view your application status, requests for additional documentation, and award information on the Financial Aid Portal.

How much grant money will I qualify for?

As your income goes up, the award amounts go down. A family of four making $50,500 or less will receive a full WCG award. A middle-income family of four making up to about $92,000 will get some level of aid (i.e. a partial award).

Do I need to pay back the Washington College Grant?

No – grant funding is “free money” and does not need to be paid back.