Select Page

Getting Started

Veteran and Military-Affiliated Education

Veterans, Active Duty Military Personnel, and Spouses and Children utilizing education benefits

Whether you are on active duty, in the reserves, a veteran, or a dependent of someone in the military we hope you will find your educational path at Skagit Valley College! The information on this page will help guide you in the beginning stages of applying to the college, and how to begin the process of determining how to access your educational benefits and/or tuition assistance.


Visit the Veterans Education Office

Stop by and see us to determine what documents you'll need to provide, get your questions answered. If you're a Veteran, you may be asked to bring a copy of your DD214 - Member 4, your VA Certificate of Eligibility/Award Letter, or a copy of the application for benefits you submitted, and your state driver's license. For spouses or dependents, using any Veteran or Military benefits it is always wise to come into the office.

Office Hours

Mount Vernon Campus
Mon.-Thurs: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (In-Person) | 12 - 5 p.m. (Remote Services Only)
Whidbey Island Campus
Mon.-Thurs: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (In-Person) | 12 - 5 p.m. (Remote Services Only)


Apply for Your Benefits

Go to http://www.gibill.va.gov and mouse over APPLY FOR BENEFITS and select Apply Online, which will lead you to the vets.gov/education portal. If this is your first time, you can click the "Select Correct Form" drop-down menu and answer a few questions to help you determine what benefit is best for you and how to apply for it. After completing the application, it can take up to 30 days to receive a response from the VA, via mail (Certificate of Eligibility). If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1.888.442.4551) to have a form mailed to you.

NOTE: Selected Reserves—Educational benefits are also available to eligible members. A "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (NOBE) DD-2384 has to be requested from your unit and brought to the Veterans Education Office to start the application process.


Apply for Admissions

Submit an Admission Application online at the Washington State Community & Technical College Web Admissions Center (Be sure to select Skagit Valley College after creating an account). Please note that applications will take up to 10 business days to process.

Explore Costs & Funding Opportunities

Even though you plan to use your GI Bill® benefits to pay for your education, you may find that you are eligible for additional financial aid in the form of grants, loans, and scholarships to assist you in covering your educational expenses.

Course Placement

In order to determine the best classes for you, your writing, reading, and mathematics skills will be assessed. There may be more than one way you can be placed into courses; review your options below.

Advising & Registration

Once you have determined your course placement, new students register for a Cardinal Take-Off New Student Group Advising session. Here you will learn more about Skagit Valley College and register for your classes within the session.

It is important to complete the earlier steps, as you will not be able to be advised if you haven't completed the online orientation and established placement. This is another opportunity for you to meet with your Veterans Education Office to verify your VA funding status, or ask any questions you may have.

Please note that your registration appointment is NOT your advising appointment. You must attend SVC Take-Off Group Advising before you may register for classes.


Certify your Benefits with Veterans Education

Once you have registered for classes, bring a copy of your class schedule or your Student ID Numberwith you to the Veterans Education Office on your campus, in order to complete the certification process for your Veterans Education benefits.

Office locations can be found under the Contact Staff section of the Veterans Education Office website.

Office Hours

Mount Vernon Campus
Mon.-Thurs: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.<br>
Fri: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. (In-Person) | 12 – 5 p.m. (Remote Services Only)

Whidbey Island Campus
Mon.-Thurs: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.<br>
Fri: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. (In-Person) | 12 – 5 p.m. (Remote Services Only)

San Juan Center
Mon. – Fri: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.