Veteran's Education

Veteran's Outreach

Veterans & Military Active Duty

Veteran's Outreach

Veterans & Military Active Duty

Financial Aid and Other Funding Options

All students are highly encouraged to fill out the FAFSA each year, in addition to their military education benefits.

Forms and Resources

Quarterly Certification Process

Do you need help navigating the process to certify your benefits? We have a new, online system that allows you to upload all of the information we need. Below is a helpful how-to guide to assist you with accessing the required forms and uploading them to the secure storage system.

Download Quarterly Certification How-To Guide

Veteran’s Education Forms

All required forms should be uploaded to the secure Document Upload Portal. You can access the portal directly at the link below.

SVC Student Document Portal

You will need to log in using your Student ID and PIN. 

For Veteran’s Education Forms, see below for links to printable PDFs or please visit the Veterans’ Education Office at one of our campus locations:

Mount Vernon: Lewis Hall, L-115 (located within Counseling and Advising).

Whidbey Island: Oak Hall, A-203


Veterans Centers & Regional Office

Bellingham Veterans Center
3800 Byron Avenue, Suite 124
Bellingham, WA 98228


Western Region-VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
fax: 918.781.7863

GI Bill & VA Benefits

VA Educational Benefit Chapters

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
  • Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 Dependant Educational Assistance (for spouses and children of 100% disabled or diseased veteran)
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserve
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program

Academic Credit Compensation Breakdown

Debt Management Support

Debts with the Department of VA:
You have options to manage your VA related debt such as establishing or adjusting a repayment plan, requesting a waiver, submitting a compromise offer, requesting temporary hardship and more. Visit https://www.va.gov/manage-va-debt/ for more information.

Debts with Skagit Valley College:
If you have unresolved debts directly with SVC based on an adjustment to your veterans benefits, please contact Lisa Mirante ([email protected]) to learn more about repayment options.  

Additional Military/Veterans Resources
Important Phone Numbers
  • Education Benefits (VA Regional Call Center) 888.442.4551
  • Monthly Verification of Enrollment & IVR (Interactive Voice Response System) 877.823.2378
  • Direct Deposit Enrollment (students) 877.838.2778
  • Benefit Questions for Students Studying Overseas 918.781.4379
  • VA Debt Management Center 800.827.0648
  • Other VA Benefits (Local Regional Office) 800.827.1000
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation – Mount Vernon 360.416.0126
  • Education Call Center
    The toll-free number for the Education Call Center is 888.442.4551. The Call Center is in Muskogee, OK, and Education Case Managers are available 7am – 7pm. Central Time, Monday through Friday. Best time to call is early in the morning. The system’s automated functions can provide information about benefits, applications, etc., and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Individual veterans can access their own record to obtain date of last benefit payment, check amounts, etc. Please utilize the automated system when benefit questions arise.
VA Work Study

Earn $$$ as a VA Work-Study

Any student receiving VA educational benefits who is a three-quarter (3/4) time student is eligible for this program. If accepted into the program, you will be assigned tasks that will permit you to perform 100% VA-related activities. You may work for one of the two Veterans Education Offices at SVC but you can also apply for open positions at any VA office, National Cemetery,VA Medical Center, Veteran Clinics, Department of Labor office and some military installations. As a VA Work-Study student, you are paid an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr) or the State minimum wage, ($11.00 in WA as of 1/1/2017), whichever is greater. VA Work-Study pay is non-taxable.

Contact the nearest SVC Veterans Education Office to inquire about a VA Work Study position and/or to be added to our waiting list.

Who is Eligible for the Work-Study Program?

To receive VA Work-Study benefits, the student must be receiving benefits under one of the following education programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill–(38 U.S.C., Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill–Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill–Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C., Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in Washington
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program — (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors. Such factors include:

  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of the student’s eligibility for education benefits
  • Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student
  • Veterans with service-connected disabilities of at least 30% may be given priority consideration

The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related work at your school or at VA facilities in your area.

How Much May I Earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. Currently the following minimum wage laws are in effect:

Federal Minimum Wage: $7.25 per hour (as of 7/24/2009)

WA State Minimum Wage: $9.04 per hour (2012); $9.19 per hour (beginning 1/1/2013)

VA Work-Study pay is non-taxable.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you’ve completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What Type of Work May I Do as a SVC VA Work-Study?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • The preparation and processing of necessary papers and other documents at SVC
  • Assisting with dissemination of general information regarding Veteran benefits and/or services
  • Providing assistance to Veteran students with general inquires about Veteran benefits via phone, email or in person
  • Maintaining and organizing veteran-related files

The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work available. You can find out more about the VA Work-Study Program by clicking here: VA Work Study

Contact the nearest SVC Veterans Education Office to inquire about a VA Work Study position and/or to be added to our waiting list.

English language icon Spanish language icon Chinese language icon (Simplified) Chinese language icon (Traditional) Japanese language icon Vietnamese language icon Ukrainian language icon Korean language iconRussian language icon